none
DDK 8.1 Building Sample Fails - Failed Inf2cat Integrity Check RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am trying to build the Virtual Serial Port demo for DDK 8.1 on VS2013 with a Win 7 64 bit host.

C:\Users\me\Documents\Visual Studio 2013\Projects\VirtualSerial>inf2cat /os:
    7_x64 "/driver:C:\Users\me\Documents\Visual Studio 2013\Projects\VirtualSerial
    or\Win7Debug\package"
    The integrity check for the Windows file protection data file 'C:\Program Files
    (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\bin\x86\WindowsProtectedFiles.xml' has failed. This is mo
    st likely due to a modification of the file's contents. To fix the problem, obta
    in a valid copy of the file from Microsoft, restore the file to its original sta
    te, or reinstall the application.
    Signability test failed.

Does anyone have any ideas? There are literally 0 discussions about this issue on Microsoft forumns and just one discussion on Stackoverflow.

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 8:21 PM

Answers

• Alright, well I'm out of time for looking for a fix. My workaround should anyone find this useful:

1. Install DDK 8.0

2. Make a backup of the 8.1 inf2cat (e.g. inf2cat.exe.bak)

3. symlink the x86 version inf2cat from 8.0 to the x86 version of 8.1

C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\bin\x86>mklink Inf2Cat.exe "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.0\bin\x64\Inf2Cat.exe"
    symbolic link created for Inf2Cat.exe <<===>> C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.0\bin\x64\Inf2Cat.exe

From there, building with MSBuild or just using inf2cat from the Visual Studio command line will properly execute. This means you can use automated deployment in Visual Studio.

• Marked as answer by coryto Thursday, August 20, 2015 4:22 PM
    Thursday, November 13, 2014 4:10 PM

All replies

• I ran SFC and did find some corrupt files... but the problem persists. If I use inf2cat from the 8.0 DDK everything is okay.

Can I change the version of inf2cat the msbuild system uses from within visual studio? I know how to do from the command line but I don't see how to change this in the project. I need this changed so I can deploy my test driver.

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 9:06 PM
  • Alright, well I'm out of time for looking for a fix. My workaround should anyone find this useful:

1. Install DDK 8.0

2. Make a backup of the 8.1 inf2cat (e.g. inf2cat.exe.bak)

3. symlink the x86 version inf2cat from 8.0 to the x86 version of 8.1

C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\bin\x86>mklink Inf2Cat.exe "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.0\bin\x64\Inf2Cat.exe"
    symbolic link created for Inf2Cat.exe <<===>> C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.0\bin\x64\Inf2Cat.exe

From there, building with MSBuild or just using inf2cat from the Visual Studio command line will properly execute. This means you can use automated deployment in Visual Studio.

• Marked as answer by coryto Thursday, August 20, 2015 4:22 PM
    Thursday, November 13, 2014 4:10 PM