replacing a template in webmatrix, uploading directories, resetting, starting from scratch RRS feed

• Question

• User-1040817213 posted

After "synching" my azure website's Orchard CMS locally, I was unable view the SQLCE file from inside WebMatrix ("cannot edit remote database"), probably I could have found the .sdf in my local filesystem and open it there somehow but decided to reset my website, try out some random other CMS

I have not found a way to reuse my xxx.azurewebsites.net domain name either in webmatrix or online at manage.windowsazure.com, webmatrix is only interestied in creating a new subdomain name apparently when trying to choose a template for a new website. So, in order to create a blank template, I deleted with the Select All and the delete key my files inside webmatrix, but then could not drag and drop BlogEngine.NET's directories in webmatrix, only the top level files were copied. I opened my local filesystem to copy BlogEngines directories there "directly" which of course was possible, but webmatrix showed little interest in uploading them or refreshing itself.

Is deleting a website in windowsazure.com , waiting some time for syncs, and recreating it with the same name the only way to "reset" a template or start another? Is WebMatrix inadequate when the azure site is database driven, or did I miss some obvious way to connect to Orchards SQLCE file?

Sunday, December 1, 2013 12:30 PM

All replies

• User540310021 posted

Hi Dear,

Your asking many questions. Please one at a time.

Sunday, December 1, 2013 12:37 PM
  • User-1040817213 posted

File.Open.FolderAsSite is apparently one correct way to upload BlogEngine with WebMatrix from the harddisk to an azurewebsite. Curiously it offers me to publish as one of only 5 sites I have registered, but I have registered more than 5 sites. Eventually I get a chance to choose the correct subdomain name by using the publish profile file. However I still have to choose FTP as a protocol, because Webdeploy insists on a BlogEngine database which I dont have (the DB setting of the Orchard CMS is lost). FTP works but reports some problems with simple HTML and the SDF file, luckily the deployed website seems to be a functional BlogEngine.NET, but this is all too exciting!

Sunday, December 1, 2013 12:51 PM
  • User379720387 posted

I don't know anything about Orchard, but I have experience with Webmatrix 2 and 3 and Azure. I am not using a CMS.

I my environment I cannot edit the remote db. I can upload the db that I have locally, or I can download the remote db. Either way, the db gets overwritten on the target.

The db is a single file with extension sdf.

The sitename is the folder name. Change the folder name and you change the site name.

On Azure you can create as many sites as you want, the site name is what you give it in the quick settings.

What ties your local site to the Azure site is the publish profile. A file that get created when you create a site in Azure. The name of this file is azuresitename.azurewebsites.net.publishsettings. Your local sitename is of no consequence to Azure, unless you add you own intelligence to make sense of it.

Here is how I go about setting up a sitetemplate for testing purposes:

1. create the site on Azure "testsite"

2. download the publish profile to local folder (testsite.azurewebsites.net.publishsettings)

3. In WM File New site from template gallery, give it the name startertestsite

4. In the remote tab select Settings then top left in minute font size "new profile"

5. find the publish profile you just downloaded

6. validate connection and then publish

7. you now have live site called testsite.azurewebsites.net

You can repeat this as many times as you want.

Do not fool yourself into thinking that the site name in WM is equal to a subdomain. That is completely unrelated.

Publishing:

After the publish settings file has been loaded, WM will so a compare between local and remote files. The db file is a seperate selection in the publish window.

You can also select "delete all remote files that are not on my computer".

If you like testsite.azurewebsites.net, then you need to look at this as a many to one relationship. Many local sites to one specific domain on Azure.

The link is the publish settings file.

Sunday, December 1, 2013 5:21 PM