none
Why is Visual Studio Generating So Many .xml and .dll Files?

Question

• I'm using VS Professional 2015, building Forms and Console applications in VB and noticed that VS is creating 24MB of files in my rather simple console application.  The majority are XML and DLL files of different libraries; for example the following exist:

Pair 1:

1. Microsoft.VisualStudio.TextManager.Interop.8.0.dll
    2. Microsoft.VisualStudio.TextManager.Interop.8.0.xml

Pair 2:

1. Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Immutable.14.0.dll
    2. Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Immutable.14.0.xml

Pair 3:

1. Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Immutable.10.0.dll
    2. Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Immutable.10.0.xml

Pair 4:

1. Microsoft.VisualStudio.OLE.Interop.dll
    2. Microsoft.VisualStudio.OLE.Interop.xml

Etc.  I think this has been happening for a long time because my computer has been requiring Optimization way too frequently and this would explain it.  Please let me know if you know what may be causing all of this output to be generated on every build, Debud and Release.

Thanks for any/all help!

Glenn T. Kitchen VB.NET Forums

Saturday, April 16, 2016 2:54 PM

Answers

• Seems that these DLL files (or some of them) are referenced by your program (can be seen under References in Solution Explorer), and the “Embed Interop Types” option (which appears in Properties panel when you select the assembly) is set to “False”. If “False” is not required and can be changed to “True”, then these files will not be generated.

Some of XML files are generated for your own code if you select the “Generate XML documentation file” option in Project Properties.

Saturday, April 16, 2016 6:00 PM

All replies

• Seems that these DLL files (or some of them) are referenced by your program (can be seen under References in Solution Explorer), and the “Embed Interop Types” option (which appears in Properties panel when you select the assembly) is set to “False”. If “False” is not required and can be changed to “True”, then these files will not be generated.

Some of XML files are generated for your own code if you select the “Generate XML documentation file” option in Project Properties.

Saturday, April 16, 2016 6:00 PM
  • Glenn, 

What is the reason of your question? Are you short of off line storage capacity. 

Microsoft offers fee storage off line. 

Success
    Cor

Saturday, April 16, 2016 6:55 PM
  • Thank you!

I WAS trying different options in the property page for the project and your information corresponds correctly.  Thank you very much for your help!

Glenn T. Kitchen VB.NET Forums

Monday, April 25, 2016 3:56 AM