Can not migrate SQL server 2000 user to SQL 2008 express RRS feed

• Question

• I have a windows server 2000 , there is a user with simple password .

I have setup a SQL 2008 express , use backup and restore method to migrate data from 2000 to 2008 .

I found that the user can not be migrate , it may be the default policy of 2008 do not accept simple password .

The password have to keep , it is not work if create a new user .

Therefore , just would like to know

1) Is it possible to know the user password ?

2) how to migrate this user ( just this single user rather than migrate everything again ) to new server without restricted by the password policy ?

thanks

Thursday, December 12, 2019 9:50 AM

All replies

• looks like to migrate from sql 2000 to sql 2008, you have to do it in 2 steps.

refer : http://shaunjstuart.com/archive/2010/08/transferring-logins-from-sql-2000-to-2008/

the above blog talks about similar issue.

make enforce password policy, enforce password expiration, users must change password at next login are diabled. i think it can take simple passwords if the password policy is not applied.

SQL 2008 express is an unsupported version. see if you can get to more recent ( sql 2016\sql2017 express edition). you will have to do double hop migration (sql 2000 - sql2008 - sql2016/2017)

Hope it Helps!!

• Proposed as answer by Tom Phillips Thursday, December 12, 2019 1:45 PM
    Thursday, December 12, 2019 12:33 PM
  • Hello Friend ,

There are scritps that export the users password.
    I don't have script access at the moment but it is not difficult to find on the web or here in the Scritps session.
    You can export the password in encrypted form.

If this answer has helped you, mark it helpful so that someone else with a question or similar problem can find an answer or help more easily. Jefferson Clyton Pereira da Silva - [MCSA | MCP | MCTS | MTA | Database Analyst - Sql Server and Oracle]

Thursday, December 12, 2019 1:06 PM
  • Hi patrick chan 701,

>> Is it possible to know the user password?

I’m afraid you cannot check user password as clear text.

You could copy the password hash from syslogins in SQL Server 2000, and then create the login on the SQL Server 2008.

For more details, please refer to How to find password for SQL Server 2000 user and Is it possible to recover user password for SQL Server 2000 login.

>>how to migrate this user ( just this single user rather than migrate everything again ) to new server without restricted by the password policy

Here is a similar thread which might help.

Best Regards,

Amelia Gu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 13, 2019 5:21 AM