none
Errors in DataSet files when converting from vs 2008 to vs 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• We are attempting to convert a large project from visual studio 2008 to 2010.  Open the 2008 solution file in 2010, takes it through the converison process, and we have the following errors/messages (6 errors, 52 messages):

Error      1              Custom tool error: Failed to generate code. Unable to find connection 'conString (Settings)1' for object 'Settings'. The connection string could not be found in application settings, or the data provider associated with the connection string could not be loaded    C:\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\EDP and Metrics Standalone_VS2010_Test\EDP-FrontEnd\EDP_PlatformAdministrationForm_DefaultPlatform_DataSet.xsd        1              1              EDP-FrontEnd

Message              2              Could not find schema information for the attribute 'urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xml-msdata:UseCurrentLocale'.         C:\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\EDP and Metrics Standalone_VS2010_Test\EDP-FrontEnd\EDP_PlatformAdministrationForm_DefaultPlatform_DataSet.xsd        40           101         EDP-FrontEnd

Message              52           Could not find schema information for the attribute 'urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xml-msprop:Generator_ColumnPropNameInTable'.                C:\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\EDP and Metrics Standalone_VS2010_Test\EDP-FrontEnd\EDP_PlatformAdministrationForm_DefaultPlatform_DataSet.xsd         102         276                EDP-FrontEnd

Error      55           The type or namespace name 'EDP_PlatformAdministrationForm_DefaultPlatform_DataSet' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)       C:\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\EDP and Metrics Standalone_VS2010_Test\EDP-FrontEnd\PlatformadministrationForm.Designer.cs          1421       17           EDP-FrontEnd

Error      56           The type or namespace name 'EDP_PlatformAdministrationForm_DefaultPlatform_DataSetTableAdapters' does not exist in the namespace 'EDP_FrontEnd' (are you missing an assembly reference?)         C:\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\EDP and Metrics Standalone_VS2010_Test\EDP-FrontEnd\PlatformadministrationForm.Designer.cs          1423                30           EDP-FrontEnd

Error      57           The type or namespace name 'EDP_PlatformAdministrationForm_DefaultPlatform_DataSetTableAdapters' does not exist in the namespace 'EDP_FrontEnd' (are you missing an assembly reference?)         C:\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\EDP and Metrics Standalone_VS2010_Test\EDP-FrontEnd\PlatformadministrationForm.Designer.cs          1424                30           EDP-FrontEnd

Error      58           The type or namespace name 'TableAdapterManager' does not exist in the namespace 'EDP_FrontEnd.EDP_PlatformAdministrationForm_DefaultPlatform_DataSetTableAdapters' (are you missing an assembly reference?)        C:\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\EDP and Metrics Standalone_VS2010_Test\EDP-FrontEnd\PlatformadministrationForm.Designer.cs         140         126         EDP-FrontEnd

Error      59           The type or namespace name 'TableAdapterManager' does not exist in the namespace 'EDP_FrontEnd.EDP_PlatformAdministrationForm_DefaultPlatform_DataSetTableAdapters' (are you missing an assembly reference?)        C:\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\EDP and Metrics Standalone_VS2010_Test\EDP-FrontEnd\PlatformadministrationForm.Designer.cs         1312       134         EDP-FrontEnd

Error      60           The type or namespace name 'TableAdapterManager' does not exist in the namespace 'EDP_FrontEnd.EDP_PlatformAdministrationForm_DefaultPlatform_DataSetTableAdapters' (are you missing an assembly reference?)        C:\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\EDP and Metrics Standalone_VS2010_Test\EDP-FrontEnd\PlatformadministrationForm.Designer.cs         1424       98           EDP-FrontEnd

I have seen a similar issue (that looks like it was never resolved) at the following link:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/vseditor/thread/61935e8b-61d3-4d0d-975c-7694008a1f50

Is there any special processing that needs to be done for the .xsd files when converting from 2008 to 2010?

Mitchell
    • Moved by Cathy Kong Friday, April 1, 2011 9:01 AM post in wrong forum (From:Team Foundation Server - General)
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 10:05 PM

All replies

• Hi Mitchell,

Thanks for your posting!

I think this issue is more related with DataSet, I am moving this thread to ADO.NET DataSet because there are more related experts there and this question will get a quicker and better response.

Hope it helps!

Cathy Kong [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, April 1, 2011 9:00 AM
  • Hi Mitchell,

Thanks for your posting!

I think this issue is more related with DataSet, I am moving this thread to ADO.NET DataSet because there are more related experts there and this question will get a quicker and better response.

Hope it helps!

Cathy Kong [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Hi Cathy - can you please post a link to where this issue was moved to?
    Thanks.

Monday, April 4, 2011 8:43 PM
  • I'm not entirely convinced this is a dataset problem as everything builds, publishes, executes fine from VS 2008; the problem occurs when attempting to convert the solution from VS 2008 to VS 2010, so it seems to me that this is actually a conversion issue more than a dataset issue.  That being said, I have yet to hear from the MSDN community (other than the thread being moved from one forum to another) and I was under the impression I should receive some sort of response (again, besides the one indicating the thread had been moved to a different forum) within two business days...

Is this a known issue?  Is there a solution or workaround?  Are connection strings, datasets, etc. special cases that require special consideration when attempting to convert from 2008 to 2010?  I actually received an indication that the conversion was successful, but as soon as I clicked OK the list of error messages documented above were displayed, so obviously the conversion was not successful.  Should we be able to take a VS 2008 solution and convert it to a VS 2010 solution or are we wasting our time?

Mitchell
    Tuesday, April 5, 2011 8:44 PM
  • It's been over a week since I posted this and still no response from Microsoft; anybody? 
    Mitchell
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 3:04 PM
  •  

Hi Mitchelll,

Welcome!

Based on your post, I create a small project contains DataSet and convert  from Vs2008 to Vs2010, I found there were two files changed which we could find in Conversion Report(*.sln, *.scproj), but I couldn't repro your scenario.

From the first post, The first error relates the Custom tool couldn't find the ConnectionString in your project, Please ensure theCconnectionString in your app.cofig and in Property settings(Right click your project--->Setting) are existed and  same. I know your project is large one, I hope you could  send me a demo which could repro your scenario. Thanks for understanding.

By the way, We can compare the changes of the *.scproj files(Right click your project----->Unload Project----->Right click the unloaded project----->Edit *scproj file).

Have a nice weekend.

Alan Chen[MSFT]

Friday, April 8, 2011 9:01 AM
  • I have the same issue.  The project is one of the ZNode e-commerce sample applications. 

In VS 2008 SP1, .NET 3.5, the DataSet is auto-generated from an XSD using a custom tool, MSDataSetGenerator.  When I open the generated file I see the runtime version of the generating tool is 2.0.50727.4952.

Then I converted the project to VS 2010 SP1, .NET 3.5, and when I open the same file I see that the runtime version of the generating tool is 4.0.30319.225.  Also, the source looks substantially different from the source generated by the 2.x version.  In the second case, just like the first, the custom tool used during the generation is MSDataSetGenerator.

Does the V4 version of the MSDataSetGenerator generating partial classes differently?  Mr. Chen, do you suspect that could part of the problem, or have a known resolution?

Thanks you very much in advance,

Rich

Thursday, April 14, 2011 2:53 AM