PlayToReceiver Notifications (like NotifyPlaying() ) sometimes won't work

Question

• The notifications build in the PlayToReceiver to give feedback to the PlayTo sender sometimes won't reach the sender.

Like the NotifyPlaying() won't get back to the PlayTo device that innitiated the action, with the result that the PlayTo device keeps searching for the connection and won't go to state 'Playing'.

Is there ant way to check or guarantee that the notification reach there destination?

(like send it back on the same thread or UI thread, or build delays between notifications, or something else?)

Software Engineer

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 12:56 PM

Answers

• Hello Toine,

There are a number of known notification issues with our current PlayTo implementation. We are currently working on resolving many of these issues. While I can't guarantee that this particular issue will be resolved we are working very hard on improving the PlayTo implementation on the platform.

There is no way to guarantee that the notification will reach the destination and no guarantee that the sender or receiver will respond to the notification as expected. The recommended way to handle unresponsive connections is to time out and try the operation again.

I hope this helps,

James

Windows SDK Technologies - Microsoft Developer Services - http://blogs.msdn.com/mediasdkstuff/

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 9:59 PM

All replies

• I'll ask our media engineer to review this thread.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 7:23 PM
  • Hello Toine,

There are a number of known notification issues with our current PlayTo implementation. We are currently working on resolving many of these issues. While I can't guarantee that this particular issue will be resolved we are working very hard on improving the PlayTo implementation on the platform.

There is no way to guarantee that the notification will reach the destination and no guarantee that the sender or receiver will respond to the notification as expected. The recommended way to handle unresponsive connections is to time out and try the operation again.

I hope this helps,

James

Windows SDK Technologies - Microsoft Developer Services - http://blogs.msdn.com/mediasdkstuff/

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 9:59 PM
  • Thanks for the reply James.

I was thinking of the same way to get hold of bad connections, but I can't find anything to hook up with and the receiver itself won't throw any exception or timeout. 

Any tips where to handle handle timeouts in combination with a PlayToReceiver ?

Software Engineer

Thursday, March 20, 2014 12:21 PM