Windows app certification kit 3.0 fails built-in grid app in Visual Studio 2012 Express - crashed and hangs criteria failed RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I've been having a lot of trouble with this WACK tool trying to certify my Windows Store app. So I decided to test one thing: I've created and deployed a brand new Grid App in Visual Studio 2012 Express for Windows 8, let's call it 'Baseline'. I have not changed anything in the built-in implementation created by VS.

Then I ran WACK on it and it failed. The dump file is saying the following:

Exception code: 0xC0000005

Exception information: The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access.

The stacktrace does not contain any of the app code. The top is Baseline.exe followed by other dlls such as ntdll.dll, KERNELBASE.dll etc. I won't copy the entire stacktrace here, it's too long. The last member seems to be Windows.UI.Xaml.dll.

I would have expected the built-in Windows 8 app in VS to be in such a shape that it at least passes the WACK test.

The event viewer is telling me the following error: App did not launch within its allotted time.

From what I can see from the trace files then something is happening during Suspend and Resume. I cannot for the life of me reproduce the error no matter how much I test "Suspend", "Resume" and "Shutdown" from within VS.

Is there a fix for this exception? How can I proceed?

Any help is welcome, I've been struggling with this for the past several days now.

Thanks, Andras

Sunday, August 11, 2013 8:13 PM

Answers

• If it's failing on a basic app that hasn't been altered, it's most likely that the WACK app is corrupt, VS is corrupt, or the OS is corrupt. Can you reproduce the problem on a different machine?

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

• Marked as answer by Andras Nemes Tuesday, August 13, 2013 3:47 AM
    Monday, August 12, 2013 1:10 PM

All replies

• If it's failing on a basic app that hasn't been altered, it's most likely that the WACK app is corrupt, VS is corrupt, or the OS is corrupt. Can you reproduce the problem on a different machine?

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

• Marked as answer by Andras Nemes Tuesday, August 13, 2013 3:47 AM
    Monday, August 12, 2013 1:10 PM
  • Matt, I only have access to one PC with Windows 8 so I cannot reproduce the error on a different computer. I have now reinstalled VS 2012 Express and the Windows SDK with the same result.

I've downloaded the WACK included in the Windows SDK 8.1 Preview, which was the recommended version even for Windows 8 store apps, not only Windows 8.1 apps. Can it be that the current version of WACK, i.e. 3.0 checks some not completely tested Win8.1 libs that cause the exceptions when testing a Win8 store app?

//Andras

Monday, August 12, 2013 8:59 PM
  • UPDATE

Well, it must be some local issue on my PC as you suggested. I've submitted my app for certification and it successfully passed the technical compliance bit, so I'm a happy bunny after all.

//Andras

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 3:47 AM
  • I am unfortunately getting this same problem, but on the certification end (i.e. my apps are getting rejected for the same error even though on my end I cannot reproduce the crashing at all). The apps in question are pretty mature (several releases have been in the store for quite some time, no major code has been changed in the latest versions), and are very stable.

In my case the testers are saying the apps crash when any of the listboxes are used, which is certainly not the case on my end from testing on multiple devices.

I'm a self-taught noob amateur. Please take this into account when responding to my posts or when taking advice from me.

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 11:26 PM
  • Matt,

I think there is a fairly good chance that this issue has caused 'false positive' rejections for a couple of my apps (the crash reports indicate exactly the same Exception code: 0xC0000005) as the poster above, and I can't reproduce any crashes myself (the tester says that using any of the listboxes in the app causes the crash).

If a corrupted install or WACK on testers' computers is possibly causing stable apps to crash it could be a big problem (as well as a big frustration for devs).

I'm pretty sure my own rejected apps are very stable - they have been out for a while with no regular crashing, quite a lot of users, several updates with no issues. The latest (i.e. rejected) update doesn't change anything that could feasibly cause crashes as described by the testers.

I've sent a support email through with all my specific details, but I thought given your title of 'Escalation Engineer' it might be worth bringing it to your attention in this thread.

I'm a self-taught noob amateur. Please take this into account when responding to my posts or when taking advice from me.

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 5:56 AM