none
Linking Multiple Tables Simultaneously RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

I am looking to make changes to my company's document control Access db.

To get my thoughts straight I have copied the current front and backend files into a local folder.  These have been renamed to avoid any confusion.  So now I want to redirect the links from the live backend to my local copy.  I have initiated the Link Table Manager, ticked the "Always prompt for new location" checkbox  and selected all the tables in the current backend file.

The trouble is, when you then launch the front end, you are expected to specify the location of every backend table, even though they are all (bar one) in the same mdb backend.  As there are lots of tables, is there anyway to shortcut this operation?  I'm not interested in going into code, but if I am missing an easy work around that would be useful.

Thanks

Phil

Monday, May 15, 2017 1:51 PM

All replies

• Hello Phil,

I think there is no quick method without VBA. 

I suggest you visit Automatically relink Microsoft Access tables, in this article we will show you how you can call a single procedure using just a little code to automatically relink your back-end tables, even when the database files have been moved to a different folder. The procedure will also relink the tables in multiple back-ends. And best of all, you don’t have to know much about writing code to make this work.

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 26, 2017 5:30 AM
  • "even though they are all (bar one) in the same mdb backend"

This is the problem. If you Select All in Linked Table Manager and there is even one table not in the same file, then Access will prompt for the location of EACH table. So instead of Selecting All individually check the tables within the same be file and Access will problem only one.

An alternative is using a Relinking tool like JStreet Relinker which does the relinking in code.

Hope this helps, Scott<> P.S. Please post a response to let us know whether our answer helped or not. Microsoft Access MVP 2009 Author: Microsoft Office Access 2007 VBA Technical Editor for: Special Edition Using Microsoft Access 2007 and Access 2007 Forms, Reports and Queries

Friday, May 26, 2017 3:50 PM
  • In addition to the other advice, may I suggest moving (importing) the bar one table into the back end, since you are on a branch of the main development.

peter n roth - http://PNR1.com, Maybe some useful stuff

Friday, May 26, 2017 4:05 PM