none
Windows 10 update - lost network adapter name cannot be reinstalled RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I was running Virtual Box with "VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter" in Windows 10 Pro X64 version 1803.
    Now I have updated to version 1809 but "VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter" was lost during the update.

So I reinstalled Virtual Box but now the network adapter name was "VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter #2".

Any attempt to delete and recreate the original network adapter name was blocked by Windows.

I am sharing lots of VMs between different computers so I depend on a unique name "VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter".

Finally I found the reason in https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=82574&p=398846#p396149
    In one subkey of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\NetworkSetup2\Interfaces the old name was still existing.

I had to run "psexec64 -i -d -s c:\windows\regedit.exe" in administrator's cmd.exe, take the ownership of NetworkSetup2, extend the access rights, and after restarting regedit.exe I could delete the blocking interface key containing "VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter".

Then I could reinstall Virtual Box with "VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter" as required.

But now HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\NetworkSetup2 has a different owner ("system") as before and extended access rights.

I am not sure whether this an open door to any security threats ???????

My question is: How can I get back to the original owner and access rights?

My request to Windows 10 development is: Please provide a easy way to really delete old network adapter names, so that they be be reused.

Please help. Thank you.

Best regards
    Heiko

PS: I hope I posted to the right forum since I found something about regisrty key "NetworkSetup2".

Friday, October 5, 2018 11:24 AM