For DirectWrite, how we can placea text by specifying the position of the baseline?

Question

• Hi,

I want to know, for DirectWrite, how I can place text by specifying the position of the baseline.

I see both ID2D1RenderTarget::DrawText() and ID2D1RenderTarget::DrawTextLayout() calculate the position of the text to fit into the bounding box given by the parameter by default. It looks IDWriteTextFormat::SetLineSpacing() can modify the behavior but I couldn't figure out how I actualy can use it for my purpose.

We could do this by specifying TA_BASELINE to SetTextAlign() for TextOut(). I'm looking for the something similar.

-Takuji

Thursday, November 29, 2012 9:05 AM

All replies

• Takuji,

I'm looking at the same issue. Did you ever figure this out and would you mind sharing?

Many thanks

Thursday, December 20, 2012 4:27 PM
  • Hi GSP_T,

My solution is bit redundant but the solution that I got is:

//calculate font metrics DWRITE_FONT_METRICS fontMetrics; font->GetMetrics(&fontMetrics); //font is the object of IDWriteFont uses for the text rendering. ascent = MulDiv( fontMetrics.ascent, fontSize,fontMetrics.designUnitsPerEm); descent = MulDiv(fontMetrics.descent, fontSize,fontMetrics.designUnitsPerEm); ... // Specify the baseline of the text explicitly textFormat->SetLineSpacing(DWRITE_LINE_SPACING_METHOD_UNIFORM, ascent + descent, ascent); // textFotmat is the object of IDWriteTextFormat used for text rendering. ... // Calculate layoutY from the baseLineY layoutY = baseLineY - ascent; // Render the text using layoutY ...

The real code that I have caches the metrics of the font and bit more complecated but the code above explains the idea enough I think.

HTH

Takuji

• Edited by tkawata5 Tuesday, January 15, 2013 7:51 AM
    Tuesday, January 15, 2013 7:50 AM
  • Thanks, I'll have to look at this later. I'm working on some other problems and will get back to this at some point.

Again, thanks

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 12:59 PM