sql server Network latency monitoring RRS feed

• Question

• when i check wait stats i see most of the waits are async_network_io so how do i check what is the response time from application end for each request.

• Edited by ashwin08 Tuesday, November 26, 2013 3:05 PM typo
    Tuesday, November 26, 2013 3:04 PM

Answers

• This wait state means SQL Server is waiting on the client.  You need to look at the client and figure out why it is slow.  You would have to monitor the application and what it is doing. 

You can use SQL Profiler to see the query start/stop.  You will see the query run in x seconds.  That won't really tell you anything. 

Here is a good explanation.

http://mssqlwiki.com/sqlwiki/sql-performance/async_network_io-or-network_io/

• Proposed as answer by Sofiya Li Wednesday, November 27, 2013 1:50 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sofiya Li Tuesday, December 3, 2013 9:05 AM
    Tuesday, November 26, 2013 4:14 PM

All replies

• That wait state can be caused by network IO, however it really means SQL Server is waiting on the client to accept more data.  This is almost always due to the client application accepting data slowly, not network io.

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 3:46 PM
  • how do i convience to app  engineers thats app issue is there any way we can capture  the duration of response from app side 
    Tuesday, November 26, 2013 3:58 PM
  • Check you have any loops/threading implemented at the consumption(application) layer. I have seen ASYNC_NETWORK_IO due to excessive usage of loops implemented at client side.
    Tuesday, November 26, 2013 4:12 PM
  • This wait state means SQL Server is waiting on the client.  You need to look at the client and figure out why it is slow.  You would have to monitor the application and what it is doing. 

You can use SQL Profiler to see the query start/stop.  You will see the query run in x seconds.  That won't really tell you anything. 

Here is a good explanation.

http://mssqlwiki.com/sqlwiki/sql-performance/async_network_io-or-network_io/

• Proposed as answer by Sofiya Li Wednesday, November 27, 2013 1:50 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sofiya Li Tuesday, December 3, 2013 9:05 AM
    Tuesday, November 26, 2013 4:14 PM