none
WEC2013 VNC Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have been attempting to find a VNC Server for WEC2013 and haven't been able to find an existing solution which properly runs on WEC2013 yet. I have attempted porting efonVNC as a subproject for my WEC2013 image but am running into several linker errors. Can anyone either point me towards an existing VNC Server solution, or give me some tips on porting code to work for WEC2013?

Sincerely,

Tyler

Tuesday, October 11, 2016 6:06 PM

Answers

• Hi Hutekt,

Windows Embedded Compact 2013 is essentially Windows CE 8.  There was a massive memory model change between CE 5 & CE 6 as well as a massive compiler change between CE 7 and CE 8.  You will have quite a bit of work to do to port this application.  To build an Application for Windows Embedded Compact 2013 you should only need Application Builder and the SDK from your OEM. Note that if you are the OEM and have the full OS image you can certainly add your application to the OS and build that way as well.

Please reach out to the developer of your device for support. 

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

• Marked as answer by hutekt Thursday, October 13, 2016 6:04 PM
    Wednesday, October 12, 2016 3:55 PM

All replies

• Hi Tyler,

When I search for "Windows CE VNC Server" in my favorite browser I find a number of results.  It sounds like you are looking for source and have found a project you want to start with.

They key to porting is what version of CE are you porting from?  There have been incremental changes between versions so your porting effort may require searching the "Porting Guides" for multiple versions of CE.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 2:07 AM
  • Thank you for your response. The results that I find when searching for, "Windows VNC Server" are for applications built for Windows CE 5 and 6; should those applications still run in Windows CE 2013?

It looks like the source code for efonVNC located here is built for Windows CE 5. I'll search for some porting guides online. Should I be able to use Visual Studio 2013 to build applications for Windows CE 2013, or should I use the platform builder?

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 11:57 AM
  • Hi Hutekt,

Windows Embedded Compact 2013 is essentially Windows CE 8.  There was a massive memory model change between CE 5 & CE 6 as well as a massive compiler change between CE 7 and CE 8.  You will have quite a bit of work to do to port this application.  To build an Application for Windows Embedded Compact 2013 you should only need Application Builder and the SDK from your OEM. Note that if you are the OEM and have the full OS image you can certainly add your application to the OS and build that way as well.

Please reach out to the developer of your device for support. 

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

• Marked as answer by hutekt Thursday, October 13, 2016 6:04 PM
    Wednesday, October 12, 2016 3:55 PM