none
how to copy the text of a range from the active document and paste it in a new blank word document? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Buddies!

I am working a a procedure whose task is to loop trough the paragraphs collection of the selected word document

and if it finds a paragraph whose style property is equal to "heading 1", type the text of that paragraph into the new document.

I don't know what properties/methods of the range object to use to set the range from the beginning of the found paragraph object to the end

of it nor how to copy and paste the range into the new documents

if anyone could give me a hand I will appreciate tons.

here is a snippet of my code to give a better idea of what I am trying to accomplish

Private Sub btnListHeadings_Click()

Dim IntSelection As Integer
    Dim i As Integer, pp As Paragraph, MyRange As Range

IntSelection = lstDocuments.ListIndex

If IntSelection = -1 Then
        MsgBox "must select a document from the listbox", vbOKOnly + vbInformation, "Select a Document"
        Exit Sub
    Else
        Documents.Add DocumentType:=wdNewBlankDocument, Visible:=True

For Each pp In Documents(lstDocuments.Value).Paragraphs

If Documents(lstDocuments.Value).Paragraphs(pp).Style = "Heading 1" Then
            Set MyRange = Documents(lstDocuments.Value).Range.StartOf(wdParagraph)
    MyRange.end = Documents(lstDocuments.Value).Range.EndOf(wdParagraph)

End If Next pp End If End Sub

thanks

• Edited by flashy_lord Tuesday, September 20, 2011 4:58 PM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 3:05 AM

All replies

• Hi

I think if you loop through the document and find the paragraphs it will be bit time consuming. There are two alternate approach

1) Search for the Style - using Content.Find

2) Prepare a TOC for the given styles (this will be applicable for Heading styles easily) and you need not grab any thing - the Heading will comeout as ToC and you can copy and paste the content to a new doc

Cheers

Shasur

http://www.vbadud.blogspot.com http://www.dotnetdud.blogspot.com
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 12:33 PM
  • I am required to loop trough the paragraphs collection object, since is a college assignment. better of all, the document I have to loop through is only 5

paragraphs long. what I want to know if the way I am doing it is correct. I yet have to figure out how to copy a range once defined with a starting and ending

position

thanks

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 4:55 PM