none
Workflow Reports Error

Question

• Whenever I click on any of the workflow reports such as the Activity Duration Report or the Cancellation & Error Report, I receive the following error message.

Report contains no data.   at Microsoft.Office.RecordsManagement.Reporting.Report.Generate(Hashtable query)
       at Microsoft.Office.RecordsManagement.Reporting.ApplicationPages.GenerateReport.Generate(String strReportId)
       at Microsoft.Office.RecordsManagement.Reporting.ApplicationPages.GenerateReport.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
       at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

Can someone please tell me what is causing this problem?

Friday, June 15, 2007 1:54 PM

All replies

• I also get an Error Page that says "Report contains no data" for both reports.  I do not see the syntax that Ross has reported.

The path to these reports is current site/_layouts//RunReport.aspx/Activity_Duration_Report.xml.

Could it be a matter of permissions to the _layouts directory?

Does this function have to "turned on" by an administrator?

In creating a workflow , (with SPD) does one have to explicitly (somewhere?) turn logging on?

Has anyone else researched this error or found an answer?

Thanks,

Judy

• Proposed as answer by DavidLewis27 Monday, August 15, 2011 6:50 PM
    Thursday, August 30, 2007 1:13 PM
  • Did you solve your problem, as I am having the same problem.

Thursday, December 06, 2007 10:09 PM
  • No.  Unfortunately, no solution yet.

Friday, December 07, 2007 3:15 PM
  •  

Is that true , that the activity duration report does not have any data by default and the workflow needs to write to it. If so, how do we write to it?

I am saying so because i tried to access these reports for an out of the box approval workflow and it worked.

Any clue?

Thanks

Sunday, December 09, 2007 11:23 PM
  • That is correct.  You can check out KB 953133 for more details.  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953133/en-us

This kb article includes the statement "You can use the SharePoint Server 2007 SDK to programmatically create a custom audit report for custom workflow events. You can create a custom audit report by adding a custom auditing entry to the audit report. Then, you can use this custom auditing entry to record events for the custom workflow and to display the audit report for the custom workflow events."

• Proposed as answer by David Biskup Monday, July 28, 2008 4:22 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Saturday, May 09, 2009 8:00 AM
    Monday, July 28, 2008 4:20 PM
  • Hi

I had exactly the same problem.

I have two site collections
    1. https://topsite
    2. https://topsite/sites/subsite

I activated the Reporting feature at the subsite level first and enabled all the auditing settings. All the auditing is now working at the subsite level. Great!

Then the reporting feature was activated at the topsite level and the following error appeared:

Report contains no data.   at Microsoft.Office.RecordsManagement.Reporting.Report.Generate(Hashtable query)
       at Microsoft.Office.RecordsManagement.Reporting.ApplicationPages.GenerateReport.Generate(String strReportId)
       at Microsoft.Office.RecordsManagement.Reporting.ApplicationPages.GenerateReport.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
       at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

However the audit settings were not modified for the topsite.

Configuring the audit settings for the topsite fixed this issue for me.

Thanks,

Pieter Veenstra
    Content and Code
    www.contentandcode.com

Friday, August 07, 2009 5:05 PM
  • i am also getting same error.
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 11:49 AM
  • I resolved this by choosing what events to audit from the following area:

Home > Site Settings > Configure Audit Settings  

Configure Audit Settings

Note that this needs to be set in every site collection. It would be ideal if you actually accessed a few document libraries first before testing the report ;)

Moderator Note: NEVER propose your own posts as answers. The "Propose as Answer" function is there so that people can propose the good answers of other people. It is not their for self-proposing.
    • Proposed as answer by nsammut0001 Thursday, April 14, 2011 9:13 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, April 14, 2011 10:01 AM
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, April 14, 2011 10:03 AM Moderator Note added about not proposing own posts
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 8:24 AM
  • Hi,

Where is this Home > Site Settings > Configure Audit Settings  ? I dont find it....

Thanks!

Thursday, May 19, 2011 12:30 PM
  • Ah, I have found it its actually "Site collection audit settings" under site settings. It works now.
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 12:34 PM
  • "Moderator Note: NEVER propose your own posts as answers. The "Propose as Answer" function is there so that people can propose the good answers ofother people. It is not their for self-proposing."

The problem with that is articles like this, where no one ever proposed anything as an answer, and the asker never came back and selected an answer. I don't think there is any problem with people proposing something as an answer (even if it is their own post), it's up to the asker to ultimatley decide. If we're going to be really strict and say there is no situation ever where you should propose your own post as an answer the ability to propose one's own post should really just be disabled.

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 3:29 PM
  • What checkboxes did you enable? All of them?
    Wednesday, May 09, 2012 3:29 PM
  • I'm having a slightly different issue with this Workflow Reporting on my 2007 site. When I click on the 'Activity Duration Report' link or 'Cancellation & Error Report' link under any of the Workflows that display on the Veiw Workflow Reports page, the excel document doen't load. It used to howerver a few weeks ago.

When I click on those links this URL displays a blank page:

http: //server/sites/topsite/subsite/ _layouts/RunReport.aspx/Cancellation__Error_Report . xml

http: //server/sites/topsite/subsite/ _layouts/RunReport.aspx/Activity_Duration_Report . xml

Don't know what happened.

Friday, October 17, 2014 4:56 PM