none
Exchange 2010 : How to make some basic folders invisible for users? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I would like to customize a lot Outlook. I've started to create an add-in (so I can add item to the contextual menu for example)

Now I would like to restrict which folders the user sees. My goal is to display only the search folders at the end (no inbox or sent messages). Is it possible? Any advice? Could I set up that directly in Exchange 2010? (I saw the exchange management shell, with the Remove-PublicFolderClientPermission, can almost do what I want)

Thank you very much,

Thomas

ps: If I'm not in the correct forum, please let me know.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 1:02 PM

Answers

• No this would never work in a mailbox the user owns you could do this in a public folder by setting the correct client permissions and using the folder visible ACE. But within a mailbox because the user owns all the folders and this can't be overridden you could  never change the rights on a folder to allow this. You also can't create an Item within a mailbox that the user can't delete for the same reason.

If its a shared mailbox and your delegating rights then it would work with one exception if you have assigned a user owner rights via add-mailboxpermission then this right would be asserted when the user accessed the mailbox.

Cheers
    Glen

• Marked as answer by RadigouTD Thursday, March 17, 2011 4:09 PM
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 2:34 AM

All replies

• No this would never work in a mailbox the user owns you could do this in a public folder by setting the correct client permissions and using the folder visible ACE. But within a mailbox because the user owns all the folders and this can't be overridden you could  never change the rights on a folder to allow this. You also can't create an Item within a mailbox that the user can't delete for the same reason.

If its a shared mailbox and your delegating rights then it would work with one exception if you have assigned a user owner rights via add-mailboxpermission then this right would be asserted when the user accessed the mailbox.

Cheers
    Glen

• Marked as answer by RadigouTD Thursday, March 17, 2011 4:09 PM
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 2:34 AM
  • Thank you for these information Glen.
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 4:09 PM