Unable to uninstall Acropolis RRS feed

• Question

• I have the following configuration, Vista Home Premium, VS 05, VS 03(I know it has compatibility issues, but it runs), VS "Orcas" Beta 1, Acropolis.

First VS 05 was unable to load. I would get past the splash screen, but after the main screen loaded, the program not responding dialog would appear. My first thought was to reinstall VS05 since I knew some people had to do that after uninstalling/installing "Orcas". Reinstalling did not solve the issue.

I then started uninstalling the last several products I had installed(Acrpolis, XNA, Silverlight, Orcas, in that order). When I tried to uninstall Acropolis I got an error. It said there was an unexpected error, the error code was 2869.

I tried reinstalling Acropolis, same error.

I have tried completely uninstalling VS 2005, and then reinstalling it, but still I can't run VS 2005.

Please help.

Thanks in advance,
    Eric
    Monday, July 2, 2007 8:54 PM

Answers

• Hi Eric,

Man, things sound really hosed up!  I can't guarantee that we’ll get it fixed but we’ll see what we can do….  A quick search of msi error 2869 kinda leads me to believe there may be a permission problem.  Are you running with UAC on as an administrator or as a normal user?

The Acropolis MSI needs to run elevated in order to install/uninstall.  When you launch the installer do you get prompted to elevate the installation’s credentials?

If not, you can try launching the MSI from an elevated cmd prompt or turning UAC off (just as a test).

Nathan

Tuesday, July 3, 2007 6:02 PM
  • I have UAC disabled, it got to annoying while I was debugging, so that isn't the issue.

I reinstalled Orcas and VS 2005, again, and then I was able to uninstall Acropolis. VS 2005 still didn't run, but I was able to find what the issue with VS 2005 was. One of the config files(Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Settings\CurrentSettings.vssettings) was corrupted. I replaced it with one from my other computer, and now VS 2005 works.

I have installed Acropolis again, and this time it doesn't seem to have any side effects.

I'm guessing some of the Orcas files and/or folders modified by the installer had their permissions changed somehow, and when I reinstalled Orcas the permissions were corrected.

Nathan, thanks for trying to help.
    Friday, July 6, 2007 12:37 AM

All replies

• Hi Eric,

Man, things sound really hosed up!  I can't guarantee that we’ll get it fixed but we’ll see what we can do….  A quick search of msi error 2869 kinda leads me to believe there may be a permission problem.  Are you running with UAC on as an administrator or as a normal user?

The Acropolis MSI needs to run elevated in order to install/uninstall.  When you launch the installer do you get prompted to elevate the installation’s credentials?

If not, you can try launching the MSI from an elevated cmd prompt or turning UAC off (just as a test).

Nathan

Tuesday, July 3, 2007 6:02 PM
  • I have UAC disabled, it got to annoying while I was debugging, so that isn't the issue.

I reinstalled Orcas and VS 2005, again, and then I was able to uninstall Acropolis. VS 2005 still didn't run, but I was able to find what the issue with VS 2005 was. One of the config files(Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Settings\CurrentSettings.vssettings) was corrupted. I replaced it with one from my other computer, and now VS 2005 works.

I have installed Acropolis again, and this time it doesn't seem to have any side effects.

I'm guessing some of the Orcas files and/or folders modified by the installer had their permissions changed somehow, and when I reinstalled Orcas the permissions were corrected.

Nathan, thanks for trying to help.
    Friday, July 6, 2007 12:37 AM