.NET Framework versions on TVM's RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

For the past few days I have been struggling to get a basic console app to run (actually even start!) on a TVM.

Both stderr and stdout files are empty so it has been extremely hard to find out what the problem was. I presumed the environment.

On the Win 2008 R2 image, .NET 4.5.1 does not appear to be installed which meant by .exe failed to start. I found this out because I happened to spin up a Win 2012 R2 image instead and the app worked straight away.

Is there any reason for the difference in framework versions installed on the TVM's? 4.5.1 is compatible with 2k8 r2.

So anyone pulling their hair out, why their app doesn't start - try changing windows versions!

Saturday, January 24, 2015 2:20 PM

Answers

• Hi dankarmy. 

Azure wide the standard PAAS 2008 R2 image has .NET 3.5 and 4 installed, and the standard PAAS 2012 image has .NET 4 and 4.5 installed.  Under the hood, Azure Batch currently allocates the standard PAAS instances and so that's why you're seeing this behavior.

You can see here for the full breakdown:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/azure/jj573576.aspx

You can use a StartTask (look on the Pool object) to install .NET 3.5 on your 2008 R2 images if you have some reason you need to use 2008 R2 instead of 2012.
    Monday, January 26, 2015 8:51 PM

All replies

• Hi dankarmy. 

Azure wide the standard PAAS 2008 R2 image has .NET 3.5 and 4 installed, and the standard PAAS 2012 image has .NET 4 and 4.5 installed.  Under the hood, Azure Batch currently allocates the standard PAAS instances and so that's why you're seeing this behavior.

You can see here for the full breakdown:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/azure/jj573576.aspx

You can use a StartTask (look on the Pool object) to install .NET 3.5 on your 2008 R2 images if you have some reason you need to use 2008 R2 instead of 2012.
    Monday, January 26, 2015 8:51 PM
  • Hi - maybe I'm doing something wrong (most likely) - but when I started just a standard 2012 R2 VM (to test out my batch program on a "typical" machine that would be in the pool) - only .NET 4.0 was installed.

I'm right now stuck trying to determine how I can least painfully get a .NET 4.6.1 running on my pool compute nodes.

Monday, May 23, 2016 8:06 AM
  • Hi Srikant,

I am not sure how you are checking the installed .NET version, by 2012 R2 should have .NET 4.5 (it will not have .NET 4.6.1 though).  See this article for more information, specifically take a look at their suggested "install.cmd" https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/cloud-services-dotnet-install-dotnet/

Note that the "startup task" they are referring to in that article is an Azure Cloud Services startup task, not an Azure Batch startup task, but the install.cmd script and general principle should work in Azure Batch as well.

A key quote is here:

Note:

The script still shows you how to install .NET 4.5.2 or .NET 4.6 for continuity. There is no need to install .NET 4.5.2 manually as it is already available on Azure Guest OS.

Monday, May 23, 2016 4:36 PM
  • Hi Matthew,

I'm modifying the installer for what I'm trying to do (simply launch TVMs with 4.6.1) - but the rub is that the .NET 4.6.1. installer requires a reboot - this will most likely throw off the Batch Startup Task.  

Any further suggestions?  Thanks a lot for your help!!

Monday, May 23, 2016 5:03 PM
  • Also, Matthew - the TVMs for Windows Server 2012 R2 - only seem to have .NET 4.0 installed, perhaps the article is not referring to TVMs but VMs in general?

Thanks,

Sri

Monday, May 23, 2016 5:57 PM
  • Hi Matthew,

As per the directory listing, TVMs with Windows 2012R2 don't seem to have .NET 4.5+ installed (please correct me if I am wrong):  I remoted into a TVM and took a look at it.  I've confirmed it's WinServer2012R2.

Thanks,

Monday, May 23, 2016 7:08 PM
  • Srikant,

Azure Batch provisions standard Azure VMs -- the operating system and .NET version on the Batch nodes should be the same as other Azure VMs.  How are you checking what version of .NET is installed?

Thanks,

-Matt

Tuesday, May 24, 2016 5:18 PM