none
Trouble running Visual Programming Language 4 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

I have just installed Microsoft Robotics Developer Studio 4.

When I am trying to rund Visual Programming Language, i get the following error:

An unhandled Microsoft .NET Framework exception occurred in vpl.exe [6552].

Anybody got any idea what to do to fix this?

Thanks in advance! :)

Jørgen Kvinge

Monday, September 2, 2013 9:22 AM

Answers

• Hi again!

I am pleased to say that the problem is now solved. The solution was to install .NET 4.5, as you suggested Brian. Thanks alot for all your help! :-)

Regards, 

Jørgen

Jørgen Kvinge

Thursday, October 3, 2013 10:05 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Could you please provide some more information about the environment? I.e. what windows do you use?

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 2:27 AM
  • Hello! Thank you for your reply. I am running Windows 7

Jørgen Kvinge

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 7:46 AM
  • Hm, never seen this before.

Let's dig deeper. Can you tell us what .Net versions do you have on that box? (You can get that info from add/remove programs).

I assume you've tried uninstall/reinstall (of RDS), right?

Also to be sure - did you or do you have another MSRDS installation on your machine? It should not matter to the error you are getting, but can give us some clues.

If re-install of RDS does not help - I'd try re-installing (or installing new) .Net runtime.

RDS works best with .Net 4.0.

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 4:11 PM
  • Hi again!

I have tried re-installing both RDS, and .Net runtime 4.0. Still doesen`t work :/

In the add/remove programs, it says version 4.0.2610, is that the information you need?

Jørgen Kvinge

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 9:07 PM
  • Hi -

I assume you're getting the same error.  A few more questions that might help us track down what's going on:

-  What version of win 7 are you running? (i.e. Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, etc...)

-  Any other configuration details about your Windows environment that might be relevant -- 32 or 64 bit, language settings, etc...  Are you up to date on all service packs/updates?

-  How are you attempting to launch VPL? 

-  Do other RDS components work for you.  In particular can you launch the simulator and the manifest editor (manifest editor can be started by typing 'dssme' at a DSS command prompt).

Thanks.

Bryan

Friday, September 6, 2013 6:03 PM
  • Hi -

I assume you're getting the same error.  A few more questions that might help us track down what's going on:

-  What version of win 7 are you running? (i.e. Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, etc...)

-  Any other configuration details about your Windows environment that might be relevant -- 32 or 64 bit, language settings, etc...  Are you up to date on all service packs/updates?

-  How are you attempting to launch VPL? 

-  Do other RDS components work for you.  In particular can you launch the simulator and the manifest editor (manifest editor can be started by typing 'dssme' at a DSS command prompt).

Thanks.

Bryan

Hello!

- I am running Windows 7 Home Premium edition

- Service pack 1

- 64 bits

- Norwegian laguage

- I am attempting to start VPL from the start-menu.

- The manifest editor produces the same error as trying to start VPL.

Thank you 

Jørgen Kvinge

Monday, September 9, 2013 7:18 AM
  • I'm still trying to work out what this could be -- what happens if you just start a dss node with no manifest from a DSS Cmd prompt (make sure you're running the command prompt as admin):

i.e. (from your RDS 4 install directory):  bin\dsshost.exe /p:50000 /t:50001

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 8:58 AM
  • Also, could you post a screen capture of the settings in the "Formats" tab of your "Region and Language" control panel, as well as the "Numbers", "Time" and "Date" tabs under "Additional settings...".

Thanks.

Bryan

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 6:37 PM
  • I`m sorry but i`m not sure if i understand what to do in the first post.

However, here are the requested screenshots:

Jørgen Kvinge

Thursday, September 12, 2013 7:19 AM

• Jørgen Kvinge

Thursday, September 12, 2013 7:20 AM
  • Regarding the dsshost command I asked you to run, this starts a DSS node (refer to the RDSUserGuide help file that was installed with RDS for more info).  To do this, open "DSS Command Prompt" from the start menu (should be under the RDS 4 directory), and type the following:

bin\dsshost.exe /p:50000 /t:50001

Let me know if you get any warnings or errors (which will show up as yellow or red text).

I didn't have any luck recreating the error with your language/region settings, but thank you for providing those. 

I'd like to make sure that I'm using the exact same .NET environment you are, could you please post for me the version numbers for any installed versions of .NET and Visual Studio (you can find these in the "uninstall" control panel).

If you have another machine that you can run RDS/VPL on, I think that would be worth a try at this point.  Even if the error occurred again, it would be a helpful data point in trying to diagnose this issue.

Thanks.

Bryan

Friday, September 13, 2013 8:19 AM
  • Sorry for the late reply

My .Net version is 4.0.30319

My Visual Studio version is, well several actually, both 10.0.30319 for some and 10.0.40219 for some of the visual studio applications. 

I`m pasting a screenshot from both the DSS and from my uninstall window, i hope this could be helpful.

Jørgen Kvinge

Thursday, September 19, 2013 8:45 AM
  • Jørgen,

Did you try the command that Bryan requested above:

Regarding the dsshost command I asked you to run, this starts a DSS node (refer to the RDSUserGuide help file that was installed with RDS for more info).  To do this, open "DSS Command Prompt" from the start menu (should be under the RDS 4 directory), and type the following:

bin\dsshost.exe /p:50000 /t:50001

Let me know if you get any warnings or errors (which will show up as yellow or red text).

Also,
    Have you tried on another machine?

Thanks

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 9:01 PM
  • Hi!

Yes i typed in the command in the DSS, i took a screen shot of it and posted it in my last reply, but i couldn`t see any colored writing there..

I have tried it on my PC at home, it works fine here, but this is a bit newer. The problems are ocurring on my laptop that i use at school.

Jørgen Kvinge

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 9:12 PM
  • Hi -

I still haven't had any success reproducing this.

Can you try installing .NET 4.5 and see if that resolves the issue (or causes any change)?

Can you think of any significant differences between your PC and laptop? 

If you try running dsshost on your PC, do you get the same warning about an environment variable?  (note, that for dsshost to be able to actually work, you will need to start the dss command prompt as an administrator -- that is the cause  of the failure to start a listener).

Thanks.

Bryan

Tuesday, October 1, 2013 8:21 PM
  • Hi again!

I am pleased to say that the problem is now solved. The solution was to install .NET 4.5, as you suggested Brian. Thanks alot for all your help! :-)

Regards, 

Jørgen

Jørgen Kvinge

Thursday, October 3, 2013 10:05 AM