PowerPivot instead of Local Cubes for remote reporting? RRS feed

• Question

• In SQL 2000 we were able to install AS on a laptop, give the traveling user a current copy of the cube db, and he was happily reporting off-site (using ProClarity as the cube viewer).

In SQL 2005 we have some clients using local cubes, but the need for fixing data integrity issues there makes local cubes sometimes a painful solution for me to supply.

I am looking for alternatives for end users when they are not connected to the network.

Can/does PowerPivot make a copy of the SSAS cube? Such that it would be the equivalent of a local cube? So off-site users could user PowerPivot for ad hoc querying?

While I have my wish-list out, does  PowerPivot retain a copy of the data in an OLAP format such that another OLAP-viewer (ProClarity in this case) can utilize the data?

(Or do you have other suggestions for a refreshable, remote copy of the SSAS cubes which would be accessible to OLAP viewers such as Excel and ProClarity?)

Thank you! My client thanks you too!

Lori

Monday, November 22, 2010 10:43 PM

Answers

• When you import data into PowerPivot, that data is stored in the Excel workbook so it is in effect a local cube. If the original data is updated, when you reconnect, PP can be refreshed.

Don�??t know the answer to the Clarity question I am afraid.

HTH

Bob

"Lori N" wrote in message news:45e47b36-ce24-40b9-8146-6376b61c5772@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

In SQL 2000 we were able to install AS on a laptop, give the traveling user a current copy of the cube db, and he was happily reporting off-site (using ProClarity as the cube viewer).

In SQL 2005 we have some clients using local cubes, but the need for fixing data integrity issues there makes local cubes sometimes a painful solution for me to supply.

I am looking for alternatives for end users when they are not connected to the network.

Can/does PowerPivot make a copy of the SSAS cube? Such that it would be the equivalent of a local cube? So off-site users could user PowerPivot for ad hoc querying?

While I have my wish-list out, does  PowerPivot retain a copy of the data in an OLAP format such that another OLAP-viewer (ProClarity in this case) can utilize the data?

(Or do you have other suggestions for a refreshable, remote copy of the SSAS cubes which would be accessible to OLAP viewers such as Excel and ProClarity?)

Lori

• Marked as answer by Lori Wright Friday, December 3, 2010 7:47 PM
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 12:25 PM

All replies

• When you import data into PowerPivot, that data is stored in the Excel workbook so it is in effect a local cube. If the original data is updated, when you reconnect, PP can be refreshed.

Don�??t know the answer to the Clarity question I am afraid.

HTH

Bob

"Lori N" wrote in message news:45e47b36-ce24-40b9-8146-6376b61c5772@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

In SQL 2000 we were able to install AS on a laptop, give the traveling user a current copy of the cube db, and he was happily reporting off-site (using ProClarity as the cube viewer).

Lori

• Marked as answer by Lori Wright Friday, December 3, 2010 7:47 PM
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 12:25 PM
  • Hi Lori,

Disclaimer: I work for SDG Computing, the owners of CubeSlice.

If you're still considering local cubes, you could try CubeSlice. It makes local cube creation quick and easy. www.cubeslice.com

Regards,

Nathan

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 6:28 AM