Custom TrueType font not available in Visual Studio 2015 SSRS Report designer RRS feed

• Question

• Long time reader first time poster.

I have 2 custom fonts that were recently installed on my development machine. Both fonts are True Type. I'm using Visual Studio 2015 on Windows 7 Enterprise. I have a report that I need to modify so it matches our corporate standards.  The issue is, the custom fonts that were installed on my machine are unavailable in the Report Designer. Again, I'm using Visual Studio 2015 to do my report editing.

I've scoured the internet looking for a solution but still have not found one.

The fonts are available in Notepad and if I open Visual Studio and go to Tools --> Options --> Fonts and Colors the new fonts are available.

If I open my SSRS Report RDL in Design mode and select a textbox, The list of available fonts does not include the new fonts that were installed.

Does anyone know what I need to do in order to get my new fonts to show up?

thank you

Wednesday, April 4, 2018 1:42 PM

Answers

• I got it to work.

I had to get added to the Local admin group on my development machine.

1. First Close Visual Studio if its open.

2. Then Copy the .TTF files to C:\Windows\Fonts

3. Open Visual Studio

4. Open a SSRS Report RDL in Design mode

5. Select a Textbox

6. Verify the new fonts are available

• Marked as answer by Will.O'Malley Thursday, April 5, 2018 2:23 PM
    Thursday, April 5, 2018 2:23 PM

All replies

• see if this helps

http://robscode.onl/ssrs-install-and-use-custom-fonts-2/

https://blogs.claritycon.com/utilizing-custom-fonts-with-sql-reporting-services-ssrs-and-exporting-to-pdf-edb23d5cd4f6

Please Mark This As Answer if it solved your issue
    Please Vote This As Helpful if it helps to solve your issue
    Visakh
    ----------------------------
    My Wiki User Page
    My MSDN Page
    My Personal Blog
    My Facebook Page

Wednesday, April 4, 2018 1:51 PM
  • Thank you for the links.

I have tried restarting my development machine after the fonts were installed and they are still unavailable.

It doesn't make much sense to me because they are available in Notepad and if I open Visual Studio and go to Tools --> Options --> Fonts and Colors the new fonts are available.

When I select a Label or Textbox and try changing the font. The new fonts are not listed.

I will try restarting again.

Thank you

Wednesday, April 4, 2018 3:25 PM
  • I have tried restarting several times and still get the same result.
    Wednesday, April 4, 2018 6:32 PM
  • I have tried restarting several times and still get the same result.

Hmm

Can you try this workaround?

http://input.fontbureau.com/workarounds/

Please Mark This As Answer if it solved your issue
    Please Vote This As Helpful if it helps to solve your issue
    Visakh
    ----------------------------
    My Wiki User Page
    My MSDN Page
    My Personal Blog
    My Facebook Page

Wednesday, April 4, 2018 6:38 PM
  • Hi Will.O' Malley,

You could check whether it is in Fonts folder in machine and its properties is show and true type. You said it didn't appear in VS textbox properties->font, right? If so, you could try to restart the VS or you could re-install the VS to check this issue.

In addition, if possible, could you inform me your custom font? Then I could try to test this in my environment and reproduce it 

Best Regards,
    Zoe Zhi

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 5, 2018 9:15 AM
  • Thank you Zoe for the feedback.

Unfortunately, I can not share the fonts with you because they are proprietary and I would need permission from the higher ups.

I have restarted my development machine and Visual Studio several times and I'm still getting the same result.

I've tried uninstalling the fonts and reinstalling them and they are still unavailable.

Thursday, April 5, 2018 12:55 PM
  • I got it to work.

I had to get added to the Local admin group on my development machine.

1. First Close Visual Studio if its open.

2. Then Copy the .TTF files to C:\Windows\Fonts

3. Open Visual Studio

4. Open a SSRS Report RDL in Design mode

5. Select a Textbox

6. Verify the new fonts are available

• Marked as answer by Will.O'Malley Thursday, April 5, 2018 2:23 PM
    Thursday, April 5, 2018 2:23 PM