Display of Spatial Results in Management Studio RRS feed

• Question

•  

Is there any way to change the number of spatial objects displayed when running queries in Management Studio (10.0 RTM)? I get the following message:

"Too many spatial objects to display - displaying the first 5000 objects. Please refine your query."

I'm assuming the limit is imposed to conserve resources, but it would be nice to configure this manually.

Thursday, August 14, 2008 3:14 AM

Answers

• I don't think so - although it's a useful feature (and far better to have it than not!), the spatial results tab is fairly limited in how it can be configured. 
    Remember though that it's only intended as a 'quick-check' development tool - not a fully-featured spatial viewer. Is there any particular reason why you need to view that many objects on the Spatial Results tab at once? If you're only examining a particular subset of your data, then you're probably better off limiting the result set in the SELECT query itself.

Thursday, August 14, 2008 6:42 AM
    Answerer
  • The spatial results tab was only included in the RTM release - not RC0 or any previous CTP releases.

It will appear in the results pane (Between Results and Messages) whenever you execute a SELECT query that returns at least one column of geometry or geography data.
    Note that the column returned must actually represent 'raw' geometry data (e.g. SELECT GeometryColumn From Table).
    The spatial results tab will not display any of the representations of geometry data (e.g. SELECT GeometryColumn.STAsText() From Table)

Thursday, August 14, 2008 7:03 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• I don't think so - although it's a useful feature (and far better to have it than not!), the spatial results tab is fairly limited in how it can be configured. 
    Remember though that it's only intended as a 'quick-check' development tool - not a fully-featured spatial viewer. Is there any particular reason why you need to view that many objects on the Spatial Results tab at once? If you're only examining a particular subset of your data, then you're probably better off limiting the result set in the SELECT query itself.

Thursday, August 14, 2008 6:42 AM
    Answerer
  • I won't say no because I don't know if no is the right answer, but it doesn't appear to configurable in the UI or as a registry key.

Thursday, August 14, 2008 7:14 AM
    Answerer
  • I don't seem to have this tab available. Do I have to alter some settings to make it appear?
    Thursday, August 14, 2008 3:45 PM
  • This should do it:

Code Snippet

select @@version

go

declare @g geometry = geometry::STGeomFromText('POLYGON((1 1,1 10,10 10,10 1,1 1),(2 2,2 9,9 9,9 2,2 2))',0);

select @g;

Make sure the version returned is 10.0.1600.22 or higher.

Thursday, August 14, 2008 4:02 PM
    Answerer
  • The spatial results tab was only included in the RTM release - not RC0 or any previous CTP releases.

It will appear in the results pane (Between Results and Messages) whenever you execute a SELECT query that returns at least one column of geometry or geography data.
    Note that the column returned must actually represent 'raw' geometry data (e.g. SELECT GeometryColumn From Table).
    The spatial results tab will not display any of the representations of geometry data (e.g. SELECT GeometryColumn.STAsText() From Table)

Thursday, August 14, 2008 7:03 PM
    Answerer
  • I agree. I was pleasantly surprised when I saw this feature - it's a great tool to have if you don't have a GIS client that has native support for SQL Server 2008 geometry. It certainly was helpful when I started playing with the different geometry methods.

The reason I asked was I've been doing some testing with some large datasets (20000+ polygons) and I just wanted to visually compare the results on the server as we don't run ArcSDE and MapInfo has read-only support through FME.

Thursday, August 14, 2008 9:31 PM
  • While we're on the subject...

the 'Bonne' projection that you can select to display results of the geography datatype appears to be fixed with central parallel 0' and every parallel a straight horizontal line - so shouldn't this really be labelled as the 'Sinusoidal', or maybe 'Sanson-Flamsteed' projection?
    Monday, August 18, 2008 7:54 PM
    Answerer
  • A rose by any other name...  Smile
    Monday, August 25, 2008 6:22 PM