Disabling Custom code in SSRS and RDLSandboxing RRS feed

• Question

• I want to disable Custom code in SSRS reports, and I am reading about RDL Sandboxing.

the documentation says that 

When RDL Sandboxing is enabled, the following features are disabled:

• Custom code in the <Code> element of a report definition.

• RDL backward compatibility mode for SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services (SSRS) custom report items.

• Named parameters in expressions.

I am not clear on the "Named Parameters in Expressions" part. Why should that be disabled with RDLSandbox? what if I only want to disable Custom code but want to keep the Named parameter in expression.

MSDNStudent Knows not much!

Monday, April 30, 2012 7:02 AM

Answers

• Hi MSDN Student,

“Named parameters in expressions” refers to the VB feature of passing arguments by name: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/51wfzyw0.aspx.  RDL Sandbox doesn’t restrict accessing Report Parameters by name in expressions (i.e. =Parameters!Param1.Value.) 

Just a word of caution, RDL Sandbox is a big switch to throw on a server.  Not only does it disable the <Code> block, but it greatly restricts the content of report expressions and enforces limits on the size of external resources, such as images, and the length of strings and byte arrays returned from expressions.  You might hit the string length limit if you have long data set query command text.  You might hit the byte array limit if you use database images.

Individual RDL Sandbox restrictions cannot be enabled or disabled independently.  However, you can independently change the values for each limit in the configuration file.

Thanks,
    Lola

TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

• Marked as answer by MSDN Student Thursday, May 17, 2012 7:59 AM
    Thursday, May 3, 2012 1:36 AM

All replies

• Hi MSDN Student,

“Named parameters in expressions” refers to the VB feature of passing arguments by name: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/51wfzyw0.aspx.  RDL Sandbox doesn’t restrict accessing Report Parameters by name in expressions (i.e. =Parameters!Param1.Value.) 

Just a word of caution, RDL Sandbox is a big switch to throw on a server.  Not only does it disable the <Code> block, but it greatly restricts the content of report expressions and enforces limits on the size of external resources, such as images, and the length of strings and byte arrays returned from expressions.  You might hit the string length limit if you have long data set query command text.  You might hit the byte array limit if you use database images.

Individual RDL Sandbox restrictions cannot be enabled or disabled independently.  However, you can independently change the values for each limit in the configuration file.

Thanks,
    Lola

TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

• Marked as answer by MSDN Student Thursday, May 17, 2012 7:59 AM
    Thursday, May 3, 2012 1:36 AM
  • Thanks for the information.

What is the maximum values of 

1. length of expressions

2. size of external resouces

3.byte arrays returned from expressions.

I will my RDL Sandbox to the max values so that it doesn't effect my users./

However I must disable custom code. The reason for doing this is that I am enabling SSRS in SharePoint integrated mode. Now I am going to run SSRS services on the box where all Service Applications are running. My fear is that someone using code block of SSRS could referece SharePont DLL and then start using server object model.

This is why all custom code must be disabled. but I don't want any other side effect like limits on expressions, images or limit query results etc.

Thursday, May 3, 2012 5:42 AM
  • I have put in a Microsoft connect request on this topic.

https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/742461/rdlsandboxing-element-in-ssrs-2008-r2

Thursday, May 17, 2012 8:26 AM