IEDCWebDriver.dll on Windows 10 Technical Preview RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

I'm building an application which makes uses of the WebDriver API from Internet Explorer 11. The MSDN documentation refers to registering the IEDCWebDriver.dll into the registry. I have being able to do this on Windows 8.1 Pro and ran the sample project without any problems.

Now I want to do the same on my Windows 10 Technical Preview machine but without success. The downloadable update won't install and the path to the IEDCWebDriver.dll doesn't exist. The sample project also fails to run. How can I make it run and register the dll? I don't think it's safe to copy it over from one to the other machine, is it?

Thursday, October 30, 2014 12:33 PM

Answers

• If you need to actually bind to IE in your Tech Preview, it will not work due to some work we still need to do, unfortunately. If your app is simply leveraging the API for some other purpose, then it should work ok to copy it over from the other machine, register it, and then use it with your app.

Hope that helps.

-John, Senior Test Lead, Internet Explorer

• Proposed as answer by EricLaw [Edge] Thursday, October 30, 2014 9:31 PM
    • Marked as answer by Niekess Friday, October 31, 2014 8:07 AM
    Thursday, October 30, 2014 7:57 PM

All replies

• If you need to actually bind to IE in your Tech Preview, it will not work due to some work we still need to do, unfortunately. If your app is simply leveraging the API for some other purpose, then it should work ok to copy it over from the other machine, register it, and then use it with your app.

Hope that helps.

-John, Senior Test Lead, Internet Explorer

• Proposed as answer by EricLaw [Edge] Thursday, October 30, 2014 9:31 PM
    • Marked as answer by Niekess Friday, October 31, 2014 8:07 AM
    Thursday, October 30, 2014 7:57 PM
  • Thanks for the reply. I will probably run a dual boot installation with Windows 8 in this case.
    Friday, October 31, 2014 8:08 AM