Developing Windows Store App on Windows 7 PC

Question

• Hi,

1. I have a Windows 7 PC can I develop apps for Windows Store 8/8.1 Apps.

2. If I create a Windows Desktop project will that run on Windows 8.1 OS?

3. Can I create a VM on my Windows 7 PC and debug Windows Store App on it?

4. If I install this SDK in my Windows 7 PC, can I develop Windows 8 apps using it.

Thanks

Somnath

• Edited by somnathbanik Tuesday, March 17, 2015 5:07 PM added
    Tuesday, March 17, 2015 5:05 PM

Answers

• Windows 8 (or better 8.1) is required to develop Windows Store apps. You can install Windows 8.1 in a VM on your Windows 7 host, but you cannot use the Windows 7 host directly.
    Tuesday, March 17, 2015 6:00 PM

All replies

• Windows 8 (or better 8.1) is required to develop Windows Store apps. You can install Windows 8.1 in a VM on your Windows 7 host, but you cannot use the Windows 7 host directly.
    Tuesday, March 17, 2015 6:00 PM

So does it mean that I can build Windows Store App (WinRT) in Windows 7 PC using VM, right?
    Tuesday, March 17, 2015 6:51 PM
  • Yes. You can build Windows Store apps from a Windows 8.1 system running in a VM.
    Tuesday, March 17, 2015 8:20 PM
  • 1) You cannot develop Windows 8+ Store/Phone apps on Windows 7.

2) Windows 8.1 retains backwards compatibility with Windows 7 for desktop applications, so yes, any application/project that works on Windows 7 will work on Windows 8.1 (there may be some minor exceptions to this)

3) Yes. When you run a VM you are effectively running a different instance of Windows. If you install Windows 8.1 in a VM on Windows 7 you will be able to develop Windows 8.1 Store/Phone apps there. But it seems pointless when you could just install Windows 8.1 instead of Windows 7 (plus you get a faster, more stable OS as well)

4) No. You cannot develop Windows 8+ apps on Windows 7 (with the exception of installing Windows 8+ within a VM).

The basic rule is that your OS must be the same or a more recent version than the one you want to develop for (e.g. you can't make Windows 8.1 apps on Windows 8, you can't build for Windows Phone 8.1 on Windows 7).

I'm a self-taught noob amateur. Please take this into account when responding to my posts or when taking advice from me.

Wednesday, March 18, 2015 1:46 AM
  • The basic rule is that your OS must be the same or a more recent version than the one you want to develop for (e.g. you can't make Windows 8.1 apps on Windows 8, you can't build for Windows Phone 8.1 on Windows 7).

This is correct for Windows Store apps. It is not correct for desktop apps. Since desktop apps are off-topic in this forum so you get a pass :)

Wednesday, March 18, 2015 2:54 AM