SSRS Subreport Parameter Passing Issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have created a mian report that is grouped by 'Office' and based on the office location appropriate sub report would show within the table cell when Office is expanded.  

In the parameter section when i hard code an office location it is properly passed to the sub report but when I give =Fields!Office.Value , the report shows the Loading symbol and does not load the report .

Below is the matrix :

I tested passing other field values like Employee Status and Effective Date , they are successfully passed to the sub report as below :

Office is the Parent Group. How can I pass this field value as the parameter ?

Thanks,

Grigory

Monday, April 7, 2014 5:00 AM

Answers

• Hi Grigory,

According to your description, you have some issue on passing field value of “Office” from main report to sub report. But you can successfully pass other field values from main report to sub report.

Actually, passing field value of “Office” supposes to be same thing as passing other field values. As you said, what you want is show the sub report based on Office in your main port when you expanded “Office”. We have tested in our local environment, and it seems the results can achieve your goal. Here are the steps for your reference:

1. Create a main report which is grouped by Office. Put values and sub report into appropriate position.
    2. Right click on your subreport area, select Subreport Properties.
    3. Click Parameter tab. In use these parameters to run your report, add “Office” as a parameter.
    4. Go to your sub report. Add an “Office“ parameter.
    5. Open Dataset Properties, add "where Office=@Office" clause in Query.
    6. Create a table/matrix and put the values you want to display in this subreport.
    7. Save and preview. It will show you “Office” parameter is missing a value.
    8. Go to main report. Save and preview. It looks like below.

Till now, it seems work. But with your information, we still can’t find out the reason why you can not pass the “Office” parameter. So we want to have something more detail:

• How long does the “Load Symbol” last? What happened after the “Load Symbol”? It shows you error or blank area? Please post the result to us.
    • How do you make use of your “Office” parameter in your sub report? And we need more information about your sub report structure.

Any information you provide may help us to solve your problem. We are waiting for your response.

Reference:
    Using Parameters to Connect to Other Reports
    Using Parameters to Control Report Data

Best Regards,
    Simon Hou

Monday, April 14, 2014 9:43 AM