Visual Studio 2012 Debugger does not give any useful exceptions?

Question

• I have been using VS2012 to write metro style apps for the past few months, and the debugger was working as it should. For some reason, I have been having issues with the debugger for the past couple of days. I am debugging on the local machine and upon starting the debugging process, my app runs as it should, and I am able to include breakpoints and check the values of local variables as usual.

The issue that I am having with the debugger is that whenever it comes across code that should throw an exception and show the details (location & type) of the exception, it does not do this. Instead, I get sent to a new tab called "App.g.i.cs" to this code in specific:

#if DEBUG && !DISABLE_XAML_GENERATED_BREAK_ON_UNHANDLED_EXCEPTION
            UnhandledException += (sender, e) =>
            {
                if (global::System.Diagnostics.Debugger.IsAttached) global::System.Diagnostics.Debugger.Break();
            };

I am guessing that this occurs when the exception thrown is not handled by me or by the debugger, but they are standard exceptions that the debugger should be picking up on, and that it used to pick up on before I started having these problems. This happens no matter what code I am debugging or what exception is thrown, making the debugger rather useless (I am forced to go through line by line to determine what throws the exception instead of having the debugger show me).

I am not sure if this could indicate what the issue is but I sometimes get a screen that says "jolthandle.h not found. You need to fin jolthandle.h to view the source for the current call stack frame" or "error.cpp not found. You need to find error.cpp to view the source for the current call stack frame".

I have been trying to find a solution for a while, but I could not find anything. If anyone has come across the same problem or knows what the issue is please help me out!

Friday, July 12, 2013 9:59 AM

All replies

• Hi Fahim Abouelfadl

I will move your thread to the "Tools for Windows Store apps" Forum, hope you can get more professional answers there, Good luck.

Best Wishes

James He
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 9:01 AM