Unable to configure Appfabric Cache RRS feed

• Question

• I've got te following exception while trying to configure AppFabric Beta 2 Cache;

"System.Management.Automation.CmdletInvocationException: Windows NT user or group 'TERRA\LOCAL SERVICE' not found. Check the name again. ---> Microsoft.ApplicationServer.Caching.ConfigStoreException: Windows NT user or group 'TERRA\LOCAL SERVICE' not found. Check the name again. ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Windows NT user or group 'TERRA\LOCAL SERVICE' not found. Check the name again.
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning()
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteNonQueryTds(String methodName, Boolean async)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.InternalExecuteNonQuery(DbAsyncResult result, String methodName, Boolean sendToPipe)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()
       at Microsoft.ApplicationServer.Caching.SqlServerAdmin.CreateNewLogin(String loginName, SqlConnection conn, SqlTransaction tr)
       at Microsoft.ApplicationServer.Caching.SqlServerAdmin.EnsureLoginForSid(Byte[] sid, String loginName)
       at Microsoft.ApplicationServer.Caching.SqlServerCustomProvider.AddUser(String machine, String user)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at Microsoft.ApplicationServer.Caching.SqlServerCustomProvider.AddUser(String machine, String user)
       at Microsoft.ApplicationServer.Caching.Configuration.Commands.RegisterCacheHostCommand.SetCustomProviderPermissions(String provider, String connStr, String account, String serviceHost)
       at Microsoft.ApplicationServer.Caching.Configuration.Commands.RegisterCacheHostCommand.BeginProcessing()
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at System.Management.Automation.Runspaces.PipelineBase.Invoke(IEnumerable input)
       at System.Management.Automation.Runspaces.Pipeline.Invoke()
       at System.Management.Automation.PowerShell.Worker.ConstructPipelineAndDoWork(Runspace rs, Boolean performSyncInvoke)
       at System.Management.Automation.PowerShell.Worker.CreateRunspaceIfNeededAndDoWork(Runspace rsToUse, Boolean isSync)
       at System.Management.Automation.PowerShell.CoreInvoke[TOutput](IEnumerable input, PSDataCollection`1 output, PSInvocationSettings settings)
       at System.Management.Automation.PowerShell.Invoke(IEnumerable input, PSInvocationSettings settings)
       at System.Management.Automation.PowerShell.Invoke()
       at Microsoft.ApplicationServer.Configuration.DistributedCacheProxy.RegisterCacheHost(DistributedCacheSettings settings)
       at Microsoft.ApplicationServer.Configuration.DistributedCacheNodePage.backgroundWorker_DoWork(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e)"

What's wrong with my config?

Config environment;
    OS            : Windows 7 x64
    Language  : TR
    Selected caching service account : NT AUTHORITY\Local Service

note that; computer is located within a workgroup.
    • Edited by Fatih Boy Monday, March 15, 2010 11:10 AM note added
    Saturday, March 13, 2010 3:19 PM

Answers

• Finally I solve the issue myself.

After downloading and installing SQL Server Management Studio, I did add new login for the user 'NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE', as well as I did add Local Service as a user for my AppFabric Cache database. After all re-configuring appfabric cache with "Join cluster" option solves my issue.

It would be nice to have an automated task which will perform all that staff for us at caching service configuration.

Fatih
    • Marked as answer by Fatih Boy Thursday, March 18, 2010 9:46 PM
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 9:45 PM

All replies

• Finally I solve the issue myself.

After downloading and installing SQL Server Management Studio, I did add new login for the user 'NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE', as well as I did add Local Service as a user for my AppFabric Cache database. After all re-configuring appfabric cache with "Join cluster" option solves my issue.

It would be nice to have an automated task which will perform all that staff for us at caching service configuration.

Fatih
    • Marked as answer by Fatih Boy Thursday, March 18, 2010 9:46 PM
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 9:45 PM
  • Hello - it seems you are lucky enough in getting AppFabric Cache working with SQL Cluster Configuration. I tried the same thing and I am not lucky enough.
    Friday, March 26, 2010 6:06 AM
  • First off, on a Workgroup environment, builtin accounts like Local service, Network service and Local System are not supported. The account that you use as service account must be local administrator present on all cluster machines with same username and password (for Workgroup only).

Coming to the error you are receving, this error is directly received from SQL. Please confirm at least these are not the issue

(i) You are trying to configure service on the host 'TERRA' with SQL Server present on a different machine.

(ii) The collation of SQL Server is case-sensitive and the hostname being passed (by the confguration utility?) is not in the same case as recognised on the SQL Server machine.

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 1:57 PM
  • This does not get started using domain account too.I ve installed and configured without error but teh service never started.I manually started it and it stops again.Further the Distributed cache service is not registered any more?
    Thursday, April 1, 2010 1:07 AM
  • Shree-111, you may have done this, but I'd like to point out that it is important to start a cache cluster using the Windows PowerShell Start-CacheCluster command. If the cluster is up and you're just starting a single cache host, then the Start-CacheHost command should be used. There may be problems by manually starting the service from the control panel. Also, if the service won't start or if it goes down unexpectedly, check the event log. This forum post shows where to look: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/velocity/thread/0d0c4ee4-c156-4ad5-b2d7-52940f9f8fb0. If you're using a SQL Configuration, you could try to rule out SQL issues as being the cause by temporarily using a shared folder configuration. Just make a network share and give yourself full contrl on that share. Then configure the cache cluster to use the network share to store its configuration data. If that works, then you can try SQL again and troubleshoot why the SQL provider is having problems.

Jason Roth

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 10:05 AM