MS Access To SQL migration Error RRS feed

• Question

• Hello friends,

I've migrated MS Access db to SQL server 2008 but unfortunately two queries could not be converted ..Received below error

Error :-
    Following SQL statement is not supported and cannot be converted:

I have fixed the syntax error and when i run the modified query in the migrated DB in sql I get an error ...that
    table does not exist....Now my question is when we migrate from Access to SQL what happen to MS Access queries...
    do they become SQL view or Do they become sql tables.  …If they become Table or View I think I know the problem why I am getting an error that table does not exist....Please help

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 8:20 PM

Answers

• Hi ,

If your Access version is 97 or later. You could download SQL Server Migration Assistant (SSMA) from below link:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=4b37df74-7522-41cf-9c1a-01b6415d9608

By using this tool, you could avoid the above error and get a clear understanding of data object convention between Access and SQL Server. And there is one of the SSMA team's blog describing how to migrate database from Access to SQL Server 2008 or later in details.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
    Peja

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Peja Tao Wednesday, July 13, 2011 6:59 AM
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 8:17 AM

All replies

• They become SQL Server views.
    Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    Wednesday, July 6, 2011 1:20 AM
  • Hi 

Can you post the exact error message while you are running the query ?

Based on what you said, it looks like the table referred in the query is missing. 

Arunraj Chandrasekaran, MCTS, Author: SQLXpertise.com
    If you found this post useful, Please "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful"
    Wednesday, July 6, 2011 2:07 PM
  • Please use "SSMA" Migration Tool fpor Migrate MS Access to SQL Server.
    Kuldeep
    Wednesday, July 6, 2011 2:39 PM
  • Hi ,

If your Access version is 97 or later. You could download SQL Server Migration Assistant (SSMA) from below link:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=4b37df74-7522-41cf-9c1a-01b6415d9608

By using this tool, you could avoid the above error and get a clear understanding of data object convention between Access and SQL Server. And there is one of the SSMA team's blog describing how to migrate database from Access to SQL Server 2008 or later in details.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
    Peja

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Peja Tao Wednesday, July 13, 2011 6:59 AM
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 8:17 AM