none
Visual Studio 2015 C# breakpoint highlight covers code

Question

• I am using Visual Studio 2015 14.00.25425.01 Update 3 with color theme blue.

Visual C++ breakpoint highlight does not cover text (see attached).

But Visual C# breakpoint highlight blots out text (see attached).

Thursday, August 11, 2016 10:42 PM

Answers

• Here is the link for feature request for Visual Studio User Voice:

https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio-2015/suggestions/15667017-turn-off-c-debug-highlight-over-text

Monday, August 15, 2016 6:15 PM

All replies

• Hi mouse,

Thanks for your post.

>>Visual C++ breakpoint highlight does not cover text. But Visual C# breakpoint highlight blots out text .

I did a test in my side and the behavior is same to yours. I think this is by default.

But for C++, you could enable the "Highlight entire source line for breakpoints and current statement". Then breakpoint highlight will cover the your code as well. (c# breakpoint highlight covers code by default and there is no setting to control this)

By the way, if you feel the debugging behavior for C# is not correct. You could send your idea to the Visual Studio User Voice:

http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio.

The Visual Studio product team is listening to user voice there.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Friday, August 12, 2016 5:49 AM
  • Thanks Lake, but my problem is with C# not C++ and the subject line states.

I will again attach the screenshot that illustrates the problem.

I cannot read the line that has the break point on it.

What can I do to fix this issue?

Friday, August 12, 2016 3:27 PM
  • Hi mosue,

I know your problem is with C#.  I know you don't want to cover the code when breakpoint on it as well.

But this is by default for C#, there is no setting like C++ we can make breakpoint highlight does not cover text.

So I suggest you could submit a feature request to Visual Studio User Voice. After that, please share the link here. I will help to vote it.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Saturday, August 13, 2016 12:55 AM
  • Here is the link for feature request for Visual Studio User Voice:

https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio-2015/suggestions/15667017-turn-off-c-debug-highlight-over-text

Monday, August 15, 2016 6:15 PM
  • Hi mouse,

Thanks for sharing the link here. I have voted it. And if possible, please mark your reply as the answer , so it would be helpful for other members who get the same issue as yours to research and find the answer directly, and I could close this case.

Have a nice day.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 12:55 AM
  • The problem is with the Blue theme as opposed to the Light and Dark theme.   Below are all three themes -- notice the break point displays correctly (source code is visible) with both Light and Dark themes, but does not display correctly with the Blue theme.

Bad QA.

Thursday, August 18, 2016 3:40 PM
  • >Bad QA.

The whole idea of individual application themes is bad in my opinion.

Windows strong selling point use to be consistency.

Dave

Thursday, August 18, 2016 3:46 PM