Azure Stack IaaS VM - events in Event Viewer have a timestamp in the future RRS feed

• Question

• Azure Stack integrated systems here.

As titled, we have virtual machines where Event Viewer shows events that have timestamps hours ahead of system clock. 

Could this be a bug of Azure Stack not correctly reflecting the actual time to the virtual machines? 

We are at 1710 version. Thanks!

Friday, February 9, 2018 6:54 AM

Answers

• Hi Gary,

We have yet to check the system to apply your solution due to a long national holiday over here. However, we wish it would not generate such repeated events out of box because we merely deployed the VM using the default image from Azure Stack Marketplace.

However, from your investigation, I believe it is safe to assume it is neither a bug of Azure Stack nor a problem with our Azure Stack setup. Please enlighten me if otherwise. 

I appreciate your effort and prompt responses. 

Thank you.

Thursday, February 15, 2018 12:53 PM
  • Hello Ning,

This is not a bug with Azure Stack. The time stamp of volmgr event id 46 can get skewed in certain environments as it occurs early at boot time before the OS has had a chance to sync with the system clock.

NOTE: The volmgr ID 46 event logs ‘Crash dump initialization’ and is written to the System log during the boot.

Casues

-This issue may occur if the computer boots without a configured dump file.

The default dump file is the pagefile. During a clean Windows OS installation, the very first boot will hit this condition as the pagefile has not been set up yet.

-This may also occur if the ‘Small Dump Directory’ cannot be found.

Resolution

-To resolve this issue, open System Properties interface, Under Performance Tab, move to Advanced and validate the paging file configuration. 

-Then go to System Properties interface, move to Advanced tab, move to Advanced tab, Under Startup and Recovery, select Settings. Check the option Write and event to the system log.

We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your time and interest in Azure Stack.

If you experience any issues with Azure Stack or the current ASDK release, please feel free to contact us.

Thanks

Gary Gallanes

Thursday, February 15, 2018 2:05 AM

All replies

• Hello,

I’m testing this in our 1712 Lab and will get back to you with my results.

We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your time and interest in Azure Stack.

If you experience any issues with Azure Stack or the current ASDK release, please feel free to contact us.

Thanks

Gary Gallanes

Friday, February 9, 2018 8:25 PM
  • I would like to give you an example of the events we've seen that are ahead of others:

Event Source: volmgr
    Event ID: 46

We are testing Windows Server 2016 VMs on Azure IaaS. Hope that helps.

Monday, February 12, 2018 12:24 AM
  • Hello,

I’m not able to repro this in my Labs.

Can you please email your example to  ascustfeedback@microsoft.com and include the thread URL in the subject?

Thanks

Gary Gallanes

Tuesday, February 13, 2018 7:07 PM
  • I have sent an email providing more details. Let me know if you have not received it because I have received an return mail as below:

"The group ASForum only accepts messages from people in its organization or on its allowed senders list, and your email address isn't on the list."

Thank you.

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 9:17 AM
  • Hello,

We've received your email and will reply shortly.

Thanks,

Gary Gallanes

Thursday, February 15, 2018 12:52 AM
  • Hello Ning,

This is not a bug with Azure Stack. The time stamp of volmgr event id 46 can get skewed in certain environments as it occurs early at boot time before the OS has had a chance to sync with the system clock.

NOTE: The volmgr ID 46 event logs ‘Crash dump initialization’ and is written to the System log during the boot.

Casues

-This issue may occur if the computer boots without a configured dump file.

The default dump file is the pagefile. During a clean Windows OS installation, the very first boot will hit this condition as the pagefile has not been set up yet.

-This may also occur if the ‘Small Dump Directory’ cannot be found.

Resolution

-To resolve this issue, open System Properties interface, Under Performance Tab, move to Advanced and validate the paging file configuration. 

-Then go to System Properties interface, move to Advanced tab, move to Advanced tab, Under Startup and Recovery, select Settings. Check the option Write and event to the system log.

Thanks

Gary Gallanes

Thursday, February 15, 2018 2:05 AM
  • Hi Gary,

We have yet to check the system to apply your solution due to a long national holiday over here. However, we wish it would not generate such repeated events out of box because we merely deployed the VM using the default image from Azure Stack Marketplace.

However, from your investigation, I believe it is safe to assume it is neither a bug of Azure Stack nor a problem with our Azure Stack setup. Please enlighten me if otherwise. 

I appreciate your effort and prompt responses. 

Thank you.

Thursday, February 15, 2018 12:53 PM
  • Hello Ning,

It is confirmed that this issue is not caused by a Bug in Azure Stack or misconfigured Azure Stack setup.  First boot/run VM errors like this are common and often depend on where they were packaged or deployed and can be safely ignored. 

I hope this provide some clarity as to the root cause of the error.

Thanks

Gary Gallanes

Thursday, February 15, 2018 10:49 PM
  • Hi Gary,

I appreciate your support. It would be great if you could also clarify:

• What should we expect of the behavior of time skew of the volmgr 46 ID events?
    • That is, how does it determine what timestamp it records?

Thanks.

• Edited by Wandersick Monday, February 26, 2018 7:34 AM
    Thursday, February 22, 2018 3:53 PM