Feature request: Workspace visualization RRS feed

• General discussion

• In planning the implementation of 2010 I have reviewed the older TFS Guide (Aug 07) and the newer TFS Branching Guide 2.0 (Dec 08).  It was interesting to note that the 07 TFS Guide recommended branching for referencing common assemblies. As a Production Engineer, who is responsible for the administration of our code assets as a whole, I could not agree with this recommendation in our case. We have hundreds of common assets and dozens of products made up of 80%+ common assets.  We have dozens of active projects using different released and in-flight common asset versions concurrently. 

On the other hand, I recognize that for project team members, they would benefit from seeing the code they need for a project all together in a relatively small, contiguous and clearly defined portion of the source tree.

However, given our size and complexity, the overall management of code assets requires a clean and simple source tree at the organizational level.  I think this would be very difficult to have with multiple branches of hundreds of common assets for dozens of projects. We are branching and following closely the concurrent development strategy laid out in the 08 Branching Guide, and the branch visualization feature in 2010 is going to be GREAT!

Yet, the developer on a project is still in the tough spot of having to grasp and visualize the assigned workspace in order to know what all code is part of the project for the release of the product being worked on.

So, I would like to put in a request for a "Workspace Visualization" feature.  The workflow for this feature is something like:

1. Developer selects the workspace
    2. Selects a option to Visualize
    3. A source tree is displayed that shows ONLY the code specified in the workspace
    4. (Optional) - The developer could then select a workspace tree object and have the branch visualization for the selected object displayed

Has anyone else asked for this?  Please let me know if you think this is a good or bad idea

Thanks!

Bob Hardister
    • Edited by BobHardister Thursday, April 30, 2009 6:06 PM correct typo
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 6:00 PM