none
AD in containers RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, Microsoft experts.

Please tell me when we will be able to join containers to AD ? 

There are a lot of applications require AD in order to work properly.

For example Sharepoint.

Thank you in advance!

Tuesday, October 25, 2016 10:27 AM

All replies

• I think they are joined effectively if the host machine is a member of the domain.

I'm currently testing this scenario at the moment with a 2016 server that is a domain member. I have a container that contains a powershell script that queries the AD. (This is just an idea to try out containers, nod idea if this is an ideal example but you have to just try these things out to learn and see).

I've used transparent networking but I'm having issues with network connectivity. Despite the container having its own IP, subnet mask, default gateway and DNS server, its unable to ping the default gateway and therefore not working at present. so troubleshooting that at the moment.

Welcome any ideas!

My understanding is though that a container should i theory be able to access to the AD , no need to join as the host itself is already a member.

Tuesday, October 25, 2016 12:06 PM
  • i'm using Windows Server 2016 (released version not TP), it's a domain controller, docker daemon is on the same server, i changed docker daemon configuration with --dns and --dsn-search and inside the container i can nslookup and tracert domain controller and domain itself. I'm running container with --hostname flag and inside container i'm invoking this script:

/////////////////////////

$secpasswd = ConvertTo-SecureString "passworddd" -AsPlainText -Force
    $AdminCredentials = New-Object System.Management.Automation.PSCredential ("nextdocs.local\soanni", $secpasswd)
    Add-Computer -Domain "nextdocs.local" -Server "nextdocs.local\WinServ2016Last" -Credential $AdminCredentials -Force
    ///////////////////////////
    the command outputs a weird error. but then i can see container in AD computers on controller
    BUT domain users are not visible, and computer name $env:COMPUTERNAME doesn't change to nexdocs.local/DATABASE but remain DATABASE.

I also tried the offline method with djoin.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/offline-domain-join-djoin-step-by-step(v=ws.10).aspx

generated the text file on the domain controller, then loaded it during image build (in separate layer). There were no errors. but got the same result.

Tuesday, October 25, 2016 1:16 PM