Extract all version files from Visual SourceSafe 6.0 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We have Visual SourceSafe 6.0 and I'm need help how to extract all version files.  We have over 50000+ files on our Visual SourceSafe 6.0 and it will be time consuming to check-out one by one.  Can anyone please help and provide faster way that we can extract the all versions files.

Thank You Very much

Monday, October 1, 2012 11:49 PM

Answers

All replies

• In the VSS client, right click on the root project element, $/. Check out it, and select the option "Recursive".

Bob Bao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 3:28 AM
  • Hello Bob,

Thank you very much for your time to reply back to my question.  Unfortunately, your method does not provide right solution to my needs.  

I need to able to extract all the version files includes in the history.  VSS only seems to allow to checkout one file at  a time from the history of Project version.  Is there anyway to extract all of them at once?

Sample screenshot:

Thank You very much

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 3:29 PM
  • I think you need to develop one tool to do this, use the VSS automation code: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb509341(v=vs.80).aspx

You also could reference to my threads about write the code in .Net: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/da-DK/vssourcecontrol/thread/cb020023-7cf4-4581-87b3-b0584378495c which to list all history from VSS DB via code. Then you could reference to my code and continue to check out the history files in the separate work folders.

Bob Bao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 8:10 AM
  • Hello Bob,

Thank you very much for your reply again.  I'll try your method.  It seems very similar to what I'm looking for.  I'll post my update if the method works or not.

Once again, thank you very much for your time.  I'll post up my update as soon as I tried.

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 6:25 PM