none
Kinect with Unity on Tablets? RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to access Kinect from Unity running on a tabet. How hard is that? Would it be as simple as having a Windows tablet and the MSSDK (or OpenNI?) installed, like a desktop? Can it be done on Android?
    Wednesday, November 13, 2013 8:45 PM

All replies

• Are you looking to create a Windows 8 store application or a desktop app? Kinect for Windows would only support desktop based applications. For that, you can use c++ or .Net.

Since Unity is not using the full .Net runtime for its implementation of the scripting language, you will first need to expose the Kinect for Windows SDK functionality through an additional library or bridge. There may be some already available, but you would have to check with a Unity forum.

If you want to create a add-on yourself, there is an open source project call Kinect Common Bridge, that makes calling into the native c++ api's from other frameworks a bit easier.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 11:53 PM
  • We would like to start with desktop and move to mobile in a few months, but need to know if that's even possible. Sounds like maybe it is? There is a Unity plugin for the MS SDK (and another for OpenNI) I think the MS one comes from MS itself. Anyway, I just don't know how compatible a Windows tablet is with Windows (desktop). In general, can you run any Windows program (legacy) on a Windows tablet? If so, I should be able to build the Unity project with MS SDK for Kinect and it should run on the tablet. That's my hope anyway
    Thursday, November 14, 2013 2:29 AM