none
Authenticate against (3rd party) Office 365 RRS feed

• Question

• For a desktop application I need to check if the credential a user has provided for O365 are correct. Can I use OAUTH to authenticate against O365? Users from various O365 domains will be using this app. Or would I be better of using OpenID?

I don't have access to any of the 3rd party O365 tenants so wont be able to "register" my application with them.

Thanks,
    M.

• Edited by MickeyX13 Monday, January 12, 2015 5:28 AM
    • Moved by CoolDadTx Monday, January 12, 2015 4:01 PM Office related
    Monday, January 12, 2015 4:20 AM

Answers

• Hi Mickey,

>>Can I use OAUTH to authenticate against O365?

Azure AD uses the OAuth protocol for authorizing access from your web application to Office 365 resources. Before users of your application can access the information provided by Office 365 services, the application has to be both authenticated and authorized to use services such as Exchange, SharePoint, and Microsoft Azure Active Directory. To allow your application access to the Office 365 APIs, you need to register your application with Azure AD.

For more information, please refer to article Office 365 app authentication

Regards,

Jeffrey

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, January 13, 2015 6:53 AM

All replies

• Hello Mickey,

I'd suggest asking Office 365 related questions on the SharePoint 2013 - General Discussions and Questions  forum instead. The current forum is for Office "offline" programming questions.

Monday, January 12, 2015 8:08 PM
  • Hi Mickey,

>>Can I use OAUTH to authenticate against O365?

Azure AD uses the OAuth protocol for authorizing access from your web application to Office 365 resources. Before users of your application can access the information provided by Office 365 services, the application has to be both authenticated and authorized to use services such as Exchange, SharePoint, and Microsoft Azure Active Directory. To allow your application access to the Office 365 APIs, you need to register your application with Azure AD.

For more information, please refer to article Office 365 app authentication

Regards,

Jeffrey

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, January 13, 2015 6:53 AM