How to select an listview item with mouse without invoking it? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

In listview with selectionMode set to 'single', you can drag an item down (gridLayout) or to the right(listLayout) a little bit and release to select the item. However, how to select an listview item with mouse without invoking it? I tried right click, which triggers a app bar in my application, but in the start screen, a right click on a tile will trigger a selection? How do I make that happen in my application?

Thanks,

• Edited by Louis_PiG Friday, January 13, 2012 8:51 PM
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 6:06 PM

Answers

• Hi Louis,

You should be able to use Ctrl+Click with the mouse to get the same selection action.

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)
    Monday, January 16, 2012 9:07 PM
  • Louis,

This is a known issue.  For now don't override this behavior in your app.  You should expect a unified behavior across the controls in the future.

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 9:08 PM

All replies

• Any one?????
    Friday, January 13, 2012 8:47 PM
  • Hi Louis,

You should be able to use Ctrl+Click with the mouse to get the same selection action.

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)
    Monday, January 16, 2012 9:07 PM
  • Hi Jeff,

so does that mean I need to overwrite the right click event to do selection with right-click? Is there any Metro style metaphor for not using right click in this case?

Thanks,

• Edited by Louis_PiG Monday, January 16, 2012 10:20 PM
    Monday, January 16, 2012 10:19 PM
  • Hi Louis,

I would personally shy away from adding your own ways to do things that the platform already supplies for you.  Customers will expect your application to behave like other applications.  If you start changing this...  Well you get the idea right?

Right click brings up the application bar and context menus for items.  Customer will expect this across all Metro apps (including yours).  It would be very frustrating to me if your application has its own unique ways to do common things.

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 7:17 PM
  • Hi Jeff,

I understand what you are saying and that is why I was asking you whether MSFT has any metaphor for the right click.

So here is my confusion. 

In the start menu, you do right click, the a tile is selected and app bar shown without a context menu. Interestingly, when you do Ctrl+Click, no item is selected in the start menu. 

In my application, I would like to do that same thing. So, are you suggesting I should leave it as it is? Or I should follow the start menu style?

Thanks,

Louis
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 7:53 PM
  • Ah,

I see the confusion.  Honestly I am not sure!  I will check and see if I can find a good answer for that.

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 8:22 PM
  • Thank you very much. You are incredibly helpful on my other questions already. Thanks a lot.

Louis
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 8:48 PM
  • Louis,

This is a known issue.  For now don't override this behavior in your app.  You should expect a unified behavior across the controls in the future.

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 9:08 PM
  • Thanks
    Louis
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 9:12 PM