none
what is EDI-850 Purchase Order?and What are All Messages files or documents like this? RRS feed

• Question

• hi all

After learning Biztalk for month or so I was wondering to create some real life application with it,so somebody suggested me to go for small EDI application where all trading parteners will send/Receive Documents of different type,so here are few question

1) What are the other message like this EDI-850 puchase order?? are they differ as domain changes i.e for Health domain,Retail Domain??

2) i know what is EDI but is there any standerd which defines the file type or content of file?

3) WHere to start with in biztalk?? i mean i need to understand EDI communication so is ther eany link which can shed some light on this?

4) Suggested Plan to start with this senario in biztalk

thxs

• Moved by Ben Cline1Moderator Thursday, April 1, 2010 2:29 PM relates to EDI (From:BizTalk Server General)
    Thursday, April 1, 2010 8:15 AM

Answers

• Great!!

1. In the BizTalk Server Administration Console, under the Applications node, right-click the application that you want to use for EDI, such as BizTalk Application 1. Point to Add, and then click References.

2. Select BizTalk EDI Application, and then click OK.

Then you will be able to see the EDI pipelines in your application in the send and receive port.

Nikhil

Dont forget to mark as answered if its answered or helpful if its helpful

• Marked as answer by Daivagna Friday, April 2, 2010 8:38 AM
    Friday, April 2, 2010 5:56 AM

All replies

• Here is the answers of your 4 questions

1) It is a healthcare domain. Lots of EDI transaction avail such as 810,820,837,834,835 etc.,

2) http://www.xtranslator.com/prod/beginguidex12.pdf

3) you have to understand first how to convert EDI to XML and viceversa
    XML to EDI link http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc973661(BTS.10).aspx
    EDI to XML link http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc982596(BTS.10).aspx

4) i would suggest understand point # 2 and folow the # 3 scenario

Thanks, Raja

Thursday, April 1, 2010 8:35 AM
  • hey raja

thxs for your reply,but one issue is that one of link has tutorial which says that how to create port for EDI communication,but now issue is when i create send port or receive location in trasport type drop down it has FILE,SQL,SOAP etc.. but it does not have EDI?? what i am missing?

thxs

Thursday, April 1, 2010 8:51 AM
  • You have to configure BizTalk EDI/AS2 Runtime.

Thanks, Raja
    Thursday, April 1, 2010 8:55 AM
  • In my Biztalk Configuration screen at last it is showing EDI/AS2 solution and in list of all configured item,it is showing green icon,i again clicked apply configuration and it is green only so it means it is configured but no EDI adapter type of stuff coming in trasport type as well as HIPAA_EDI is also not coming..help me with this

thxs

Thursday, April 1, 2010 9:29 AM
  • Choose FILE transport and see whether you can see the EDI receive/send pipeline. If yes you are good enough to do EDI samples.

If you using BizTalk Server 2006 R2/2009 then no more HIPAA_EDI.

Microsoft supports HIPAA Accelerator only with BizTalk 2004 and 2006.

Thanks, Raja
    Thursday, April 1, 2010 9:42 AM
  • The only pipeline i can see is XMLTrasmit and passthrough and if any custom pipelines that i have created in project but no EDI Pipelines i can see,adn ya i am using 2009

Thursday, April 1, 2010 10:00 AM
  • Make sure your BizTalk EDI Application is running up under Admin console.

If not then you have reconfigure your EDI/AS2 runtime in your box.

Thanks, Raja
    Thursday, April 1, 2010 10:04 AM
  • Hi

Refer the Biztalk EDI Application in your application then you will be able to see the pipelines in your application. Do let me know if you are still facing any problem.

Regards

Nikhil

Thursday, April 1, 2010 11:10 AM
  • hi nikhil

if you are talking about EDI Application in admin panel...say i have develope applications in biztalk they all are under Application node in admin panel so over there i am not able to locate this tag called EDI APPLICATION and not even anywhere in admin panel

thxs

Thursday, April 1, 2010 1:39 PM
  • Hi

If you have configured EDI And AS2 then you will definately see a "Biztalk EDI Application". You have to refer this application for your application to have EDI pipelines.

Nikhil

Thursday, April 1, 2010 2:35 PM
  • yeahhhhh

i am able to see application named BIZTALK EDI APPLICATION in my list of application...now what?

Friday, April 2, 2010 5:17 AM
  • Great!!

1. In the BizTalk Server Administration Console, under the Applications node, right-click the application that you want to use for EDI, such as BizTalk Application 1. Point to Add, and then click References.

2. Select BizTalk EDI Application, and then click OK.

Then you will be able to see the EDI pipelines in your application in the send and receive port.

Nikhil

Dont forget to mark as answered if its answered or helpful if its helpful

• Marked as answer by Daivagna Friday, April 2, 2010 8:38 AM
    Friday, April 2, 2010 5:56 AM
  • hey nikhil

thxs you are right i got the ASIRECEIVE and EDIpipelines now available,i am gonna mark this as answer for sure..but some more question,what i was wondering is to use this pipeline for some purpose but can you tell me any small automation application which uses this edi senario,say suppose i am dealing with retailing or health care so i want to make small application which is using this EDI and so that i can use it for demostration,that woul be sohelpful,something like different vendors or trading partener are sending files in different format and i can cooolect them and have that data in my DB,Typical EDI solution

thxs

Friday, April 2, 2010 6:57 AM
  • Hi

Few links which can help you out:

Theory:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc748658.aspx

Practical:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb226541(BTS.20).aspx

I suggest you to go through the second link. Good EDI sample from Microsoft.

Nikhil

Mark as helpful if its helpful

Friday, April 2, 2010 11:06 AM
  • Hey Nikhil

I think your replies turning out be really 'HELPFUL' for me,i went through that tutorials but my question is it all about configuration as in their INBOUND_EDI application everything microsoft has given ready made so i just configured it in admin panel thats it,what is the portion for developer over there nothing,so that i wanted to ask i did not get how it mapped the EDI file with our schema and translated all i had in my mind after tutorial is that "IT DOES THIS" not "HOW IT DID" so i wanted some tutorial which can help me in that so that i can build those schema and mapp it and than go and test it so if anything like that would be so helpful as say i am demostrating this and if someone ask me what is this schema called "X12_00401_850.xsd" is doing,i wont be able to answer as in that tutorial only they have added existing item and i do not know what those xml nodes are doing,so i hope you got my point in that

thxs

Friday, April 2, 2010 12:20 PM