handlers - But it all looks like html ? RRS feed

• Question

• User-751639367 posted

ASPX but is it HTML ?

We all agree (I think) that google like HTMLs over dynamic content like aspx.

Right, well for developers this is a real pain, imagine if you wanted the same "menu" on all pages, with html you cannot use include files so you would have to code the same lump of code in each page, and then imagine if you wanted to make a small change...nightmare...

so.. I have found away in aspx to use "HANDLERS" within iis to serve html as aspx - so basically, I can rename all my files to .html instead of aspx and the web server will parse them like a aspx page and return the html....

now we have tested this and it works - has anyone already thought of this ? am I wasting my time, as I feel this could be significant development for seo ?

Friday, May 13, 2005 10:21 AM

All replies

• User-1824792329 posted
    i'm betting that Google doesn't really care what the file extension is, if anything.  it doesn't even require a content-type of text/html since it also serves up PDFs and power point decks. 

i think you're wasting your time unless you're doing all this work to satisfy your own requirements.  everything else is going to care only about your output.

Saturday, May 14, 2005 1:55 PM
  • User-1469150719 posted
    People have been doing this for a LONG time.  Some suggest for benefit of search engine rank (I highly doubt this) and others do it for a simple veil of security, the first thing a hacker would want to know is what kind of server side engine will process their response.  (this is just a small hurdle to overcome, but the less a hacker knows about your site, the better)

Granted, all they'd have to do is look at some of the javascript or viewstate that ASP.NET outputs to the page and you'd know, but back in the days of Coldfusion, ASP and PHP, I'm not sure if you could ever tell the difference.

Personally I think it's a waste of time, and I enjoy seeing major websites that have aspx pages because it makes me feel like they are freshly developed pages.

Saturday, May 21, 2005 10:55 PM
  • User1235981732 posted

Can you share, or point to documentation, how to make iis handle *.html as *.aspx?

Is that just a configuration change or do you have to write a httpHandler yourself?

Monday, May 23, 2005 3:03 PM
  • User-1469150719 posted
    You could sort of accomplish the same thing using handlers, and basically you would just translate all requests to html and serve up the aspx page instead.  This is not ideal, however, because you'd have to make all of your links say .html also.

In IIS there is a setting somewhere, I cannot recall exactly where it is.  (Right now I'm on a XP Home machine so I can't look it up).

Monday, May 23, 2005 8:39 PM