New to Mobile Applications... RRS feed

• Question

• hi,
    I am new to Mobile Applications.

Going to do Windows Mobile Applications

1.I do not know about the what device the end user is going to use.(probably phone powered by Windows Mobile)

2. I am not using any mobile devices i.e.,only simulators

without having mobile device,can I test it?

3. If database application,how to create database for application.

4.I have worked in tiered architecture -windows and web applications.

Is it easy to work with mobile applications when compared to others?

Thanks
    bharathi
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 1:41 PM

Answers

• Hi,

1.- All Windows Moible OS are build over Windows CE architecture. Either Winodws Mobile 5 and Windows Mobile 6.x are built over Windows CE 5.x. Before that, Windows Mobile 2003 (& SE) were build over Windows CE 4.2x, whereby all Windows CE 5.x based applications will be 99,99% full compatible (except device related code). In other words, if you don't use specific device libraries such Camera APIs, your application will run wherever .NET CF needed version could be installed.
    2.- There are emulators for all kind of WinMobile editions and versions. Check out the Windows Mobile 6 SDK.
    3.- By using SQL Server Compact ADO.NET data provider. You will find further info here.
    4.- Neither is not easier or is easier, is quite different. try to understand how do the device works, what are its own features and don't forget that .NET CF is a subset of .NET Framework, so not all the BCL definitions are in.

Let me suggest you a book for getting started: MS Mobile Develpment Handbook,

Best regards,,
    José Miguel Torres
    • Marked as answer by bharathi_m Friday, January 23, 2009 2:05 PM
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 2:42 PM
  • Hi,

I just want to add that you should have a real mobile device for your final tests so that you can get an appreciation for the end user experience.  Emulators are great for development but until you test on a real device you wont be able to accurately measure performance, or how easy your application is to use. 

The book that Jose has recommended is an excellent resource and covers all the topics that you are asking about.

Steve
    • Unmarked as answer by bharathi_m Friday, January 23, 2009 2:06 PM
    • Marked as answer by bharathi_m Friday, January 23, 2009 2:14 PM
    Friday, January 23, 2009 10:32 AM

All replies

• Hi,

1.- All Windows Moible OS are build over Windows CE architecture. Either Winodws Mobile 5 and Windows Mobile 6.x are built over Windows CE 5.x. Before that, Windows Mobile 2003 (& SE) were build over Windows CE 4.2x, whereby all Windows CE 5.x based applications will be 99,99% full compatible (except device related code). In other words, if you don't use specific device libraries such Camera APIs, your application will run wherever .NET CF needed version could be installed.
    2.- There are emulators for all kind of WinMobile editions and versions. Check out the Windows Mobile 6 SDK.
    3.- By using SQL Server Compact ADO.NET data provider. You will find further info here.
    4.- Neither is not easier or is easier, is quite different. try to understand how do the device works, what are its own features and don't forget that .NET CF is a subset of .NET Framework, so not all the BCL definitions are in.

Let me suggest you a book for getting started: MS Mobile Develpment Handbook,

Best regards,,
    José Miguel Torres
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 2:42 PM
  • Hi,

I just want to add that you should have a real mobile device for your final tests so that you can get an appreciation for the end user experience.  Emulators are great for development but until you test on a real device you wont be able to accurately measure performance, or how easy your application is to use. 

The book that Jose has recommended is an excellent resource and covers all the topics that you are asking about.

Steve
    • Unmarked as answer by bharathi_m Friday, January 23, 2009 2:06 PM
    • Marked as answer by bharathi_m Friday, January 23, 2009 2:14 PM
    Friday, January 23, 2009 10:32 AM