none
Custom Fileds in FormRegion not received by other users RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,
    Setup: Exchange 2010 - Outlook 2016 - Same Exch Organization
    I created an appointment FormRegion with some user defined fields. Everything works fine locally: Region displayed and custom fields values are saved.
    When i send that appointment, i.e. by schedule a meeting, custom data in the FormRegion is not received by other users (with same working FormRegion).

What's going wrong?
    Thanks
    Mario

Thursday, April 20, 2017 4:06 PM

All replies

• Hello Mario,

A user-defined field should be defined on the delivery store or it will be erased . The Changes to custom properties in Outlook article states the following:

Outlook ignores non-existing custom properties. If a custom property does not exist in the delivery store, the property will not be created, and its value will be lost. If the custom property already exists in the delivery store, its value is persisted. This change applies to the following:
    • Internet e-mail messages that have TNEF and their embedded messages.
    • S/MIME messages.
    • .msg files when you drop the .msg file into an Outlook item window to add the file to another item. This change also applies to .msg files when you drop the .msg file into the main Outlook window to add the file to a folder or in the Microsoft Word window when you use Word as the e-mail editor.
    • .msg files that a user double-clicks or right-clicks to open.

Typically a meeting request is sent to other users when you create a new appointment on the calendar. Try to check the message class of the item in the ItemSend event handler. Is that the case?

profile for Eugene Astafiev at Stack Overflow, Q&A for professional and enthusiast programmers

Thursday, April 20, 2017 6:15 PM
  • Try to force Outlook to send the message in the TNEF format instead of iCal (which will not include any custom properties).

Set the following two properties using AppointmentItem.PropertyAccessor.SetProperty

set "http://schemas.microsoft.com/mapi/id/{00062002-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}/8200000B" (known as SendAsICAL) to false

and "http://schemas.microsoft.com/mapi/id/{00062008-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}/8582000B" (known as UseTnef) to true

Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
    http://www.dimastr.com/redemption
    Redemption - what the Outlook
    Object Model should have been
    Version 5.5 is now available!

Thursday, April 20, 2017 7:48 PM
  • Thanks Eugene,
    PR_MESSAGE_CLASS: IPM.Schedule.Meeting.Request

"A user-defined field should be defined on the delivery store or it will be erased" - OK

1 - On one PC I create a meetingrequest and use FormRegion fields, now I supposed outlook create that field on the store, because it save values
    2 - On other PC I made same action
    3 - Now I create a new metingrequest from one PC to the other and it doest keep values

It is necessary to manually force the creations? how?   myItem.UserProperties.Add(...) ?

Same problem with Room and Shared mailboxes

Thanks

Friday, April 21, 2017 4:21 AM
  • Thanks Dmitry, I cannot force TNEF format
    Friday, April 21, 2017 4:21 AM
  • Why not?

Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
    http://www.dimastr.com/redemption
    Redemption - what the Outlook
    Object Model should have been
    Version 5.5 is now available!

Friday, April 21, 2017 4:25 AM
  • My Sysadmin prefer a more "straight" whay, without touching formats, it states that it may create side effects now or in the future i.e. with mobile sync etc.

We also have already evaluated the Organizational Forms Library instead of FormRegion, but it seem excessive to just add 5-6 custom field to an appointment.

Mario

Friday, April 21, 2017 4:56 AM
  • UP...
    Sunday, April 23, 2017 4:09 AM
  • Could you share us detailed steps to reproduce your issue?

I have tried to create a Form Region in Outlook VSTO project, but, there is no custom fields in Outlook VSTO Form Region.

I tried to create a Form Region in Outlook by developer designer, but I failed to make the Form Region show up in Outlook appointment.

It would be helpful if you could share us detailed steps to create Form Region and use it in Outlook.

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 24, 2017 9:29 AM
  • Thanks Edward

Setup: Exchange 2010 - Outlook 2016 - Same Exch Organization
    Logged in as: Domain Admin, Enterprise Admin

Outlook, Developer tab -> Design a form
    Select Appointment from Standad Form Library

Form region -> New form region
    Field chooser - New...
    (create some fields and add them to the form region)

Form region -> Save FormRegion as...
    save a file in the local drive

Activate the Form Region as explained here...
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/ff866061.aspx

Reboot Outlook
    Create an appointment and put some data into the fields of the form region
    Close and reopen the appointment: custom fields values are ok

Follow above steps on another PC, i.e. PC2, same access rights, different username (mailbox)
    Everithing works locally as expected

(at this point I suppose both mailbox store have the custom fields created)

Now create an appointment on PC1 and invite PC2, put some values into the fields of the form region
    PC2 receive the appointment with empty custom fields -> thats the problem.

If PC2 put some data on the received appointmnet fields, they are correctly saved locally

Thanks

Mario

Monday, April 24, 2017 7:23 PM
  • Thanks for more detailed information. I made a test and I could reproduce your issue.

I made a test with Subject field and custom field, and I could get Subject field.

I agree with Eugene, A user-defined field should be defined on the delivery store or it will be erased.

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 3:11 AM
  • Thanks Edward

when you create the first appointment on PC2 and put some data into the custom fields, Outlook create the fields on the delivery store.

You can verify this using Field chooser on PC2

Doing so, when you send the appointment from PC1 to PC2, fields surely exist on both delivery store.

This is the problem.

Mario

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 4:49 AM
  • I apologize for delayed response, we  are unable to repro the issue locally. I would recommend you to install the latest build of Outlook and try to repro the issue again.

As, this issue requires a more in-depth level of support and on-going troubleshooting effort. I would appreciate if you could open a new paid support request for it.

Please visit support<.>microsoft<.>com to see the various paid support options that are available to better meet your needs. 

Regards,

Brijs

• Edited by Brijrs Tuesday, October 3, 2017 5:44 PM
    Tuesday, October 3, 2017 5:43 PM