Back button has dissapeared with the Visual Studio 2013 – March 2014 Update RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed the March 2014 Update and I now have a home button in the shell but the default back buttom has dissapeared. How can I do for seen this buttom again in the shell?
    Thursday, March 6, 2014 9:45 AM

Answers

• This change was intentionally made. The application now hooks into the browser back history for back navigation. You now use the back button on the browser to navigation back to the previous screen.

Justin Anderson, LightSwitch Development Team

Thursday, March 6, 2014 9:47 PM

All replies

• This change was intentionally made. The application now hooks into the browser back history for back navigation. You now use the back button on the browser to navigation back to the previous screen.

Justin Anderson, LightSwitch Development Team

Thursday, March 6, 2014 9:47 PM
  • Hello,

How could we restore it? The back button was very useful when packaging html apps on a webview to put up on mobile appstores. I guess we could use javascript, but then again, we would need to add the control to every screen. Is there any option to restore previous functionality, or could you please consider adding it again for a future version?

Thank you very much

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 11:13 AM
  • The new back button should be aware of pending transactions.

With no warning it just discarded changes on my test.

Can anyone confirm this?

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 12:14 PM
  • The new back button should be aware of pending transactions.

With no warning it just discarded changes on my test.

Can anyone confirm this?

To me that seems like the expected behavior, no?

Unleash the Power - Get the LightSwitch HTML Client book

http://LightSwitchHelpWebsite.com

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 12:21 PM
  • Hello,

How could we restore it? The back button was very useful when packaging html apps on a webview to put up on mobile appstores. I guess we could use javascript, but then again, we would need to add the control to every screen. Is there any option to restore previous functionality, or could you please consider adding it again for a future version?

Thank you very much

Perhaps this may help:

jQuery Mobile - back button

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5740934/jquery-mobile-back-button

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 12:22 PM
  • <Back> button on the browser navigates back to the previous LS screen.

Then it should work like any other screen navigation where it prompts Save or Discard if there is any pending transaction. <Back> button currently discards any changes with no warning.

The problem is that the user may lose all the data without any warning. Ouch!?

Young

Thursday, March 13, 2014 4:34 AM
  • <Back> button on the browser navigates back to the previous LS screen.

Then it should work like any other screen navigation where it prompts Save or Discard if there is any pending transaction. <Back> button currently discards any changes with no warning.

The problem is that the user may lose all the data without any warning. Ouch!?

Young

I now see your point. I agree, this is a bug.

• Proposed as answer by agupta80 Tuesday, July 22, 2014 11:52 AM
    Thursday, March 13, 2014 4:43 AM
  • I now see your point. I agree, this is a bug.

Okay, any work arounds? I now have some very pissed off users on my hands :(
    Tuesday, July 22, 2014 11:51 AM
  • Hi,

It is possible to edit the 'msls-2.5.0.js' script to add the back button functionality back into the shell. With other tweaks and fixes we have our own 'msls-2.5.0.xpert360.js', the downside is we need to manage the changes and upgrade them as necessary for future LightSwitch releases, but we are ok with that. I cannot recommend following our path unless you are feeling very competent as regards LightSwitch HTML and JavaScript.

Dave

Dave Baker | AIDE for LightSwitch | Xpert360 blog | twitter : @xpert360 | Xpert360 website | Opinions are my own. For better forums, remember to mark posts as helpful/answer.

Tuesday, July 22, 2014 2:00 PM
  • It's more the matter that LS team removed it without asking anybody that's the point. A better solution put these function in a seperate script with optional on or off the people can choose. With more "default" gadget to come in time the best solution. Remove something just because other idea's is a bug, timely it worked before.

Cheers

Eric

Tuesday, July 22, 2014 3:06 PM
  • Dave Baker,

Glad to read others are editing msls also.

Just hope in doing so we're not taking the pressure off LS team to make important improvements.

Like exposing ui.controls namespace for example.

Josh

• Edited by joshbooker Friday, July 25, 2014 1:24 PM
    Friday, July 25, 2014 1:52 AM