none
Outlook 2013 add in installation via GPO and InstallShield issue RRS feed

• Question

• I've created add in for Outlook 2013, and now I have to find a way to deploy it via GPO. So I've decided to create installation package using Installshield installer, but my package doesn't work. I used "Deploying an Office Solutions by using Windows Installer (i`m not able paste hyperlink yet)" for create package. Installer creates registry keys, and moves needes files to install directory, but my addin doesn't appear in Outlook (also in Options->Add-Ins). I did't recive any error during build, only 1 warning:

Warning 1 -7235: InstallShield could not create the software identification tag because the Tag Creator ID setting in the General Information view is empty.

But in tutorial they didn't set Tag Creator ID. I`m interested in per-user installation. Maybe someone had similar issue, or you have better aproaches for this problem?

I use VS2012, Outlook 2013 and the newest Microsoft Office Developer Tools for VS2012.

Thursday, March 6, 2014 2:53 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Firstly, are you sure that you are using the administrative permission to deploy and install the add-in?

By using Visual Studio 2013 to create a Windows Installer, you can deploy an Office 2013 or Office 2010 solution that requires administrative access on the end user's computer. (From Deploying an Office Solution by Using Windows Installer)

Then, since you said you didn’t receive any error during build, only 1 warning, did you get any error message when you install the add-in after deploying it?

In addition, since you said your add-in doesn't appear in Outlook (also in Options->Add-Ins), have you found it in the path that you configured in the registry?

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, March 7, 2014 8:46 AM
  • Hello Max,

It looks like you refer to the Deploying an Office Solution by Using Windows Installer article in MSDN.

> Installer creates registry keys

What registry key are you talking about? If all the required keys were created, you could see the add-in in the list of COM add-ins of your host application.

How did you install all the required prerequisites (at least the VSTO runtime, the target .net framework) for all users before deploying the add-in for all users? Also you find the Troubleshooting Office Solution Deployment article in MSDN helpful.

I have found a similar forum thread for you - How to install VSTO runtime with Group Policy and a sample project .

> Warning 1 -7235: InstallShield could not create the software identification tag because the Tag Creator ID setting in the General Information view is empty.

I'd recommend contacting InstallShield developers regarding this warning. This is not related to VSTO.

Friday, March 7, 2014 9:18 AM
  • You should check whether the regedit key and value was created successfully.

I suppose the issue is related to the warning.

Here is what I found:

Including a Software Identification Tag for Your Product from Build Errors and Warnings

Software Identification Tag is required ?

And to deploy via GPO:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff602181(v=office.15).aspx

Friday, March 7, 2014 9:39 AM
  • Hey guys,  I have some progress. I had file://.... instead file:/// in Manifest in registry key. So now I am able to install my plugin, but now Outlook using vsto from directory where I mapped my project form tfs i.e file:///C:/tfs/.../myaddinProject/addinvsto.vsto|local. It dosen't use .vsto file from install directory ([ProgramFilesFolder]\companyName\AddinName). So, when I want to uninstall my add in from Programs and Features, after uninstall process I still have my add in in Outlook. Also in registry in Manifest value I have path to .vsto from "tfs location".

So [INSTALLDIR] in InstallShield General information is set now to [ProgramFilesFolder]\companyName\addin name, and Manifest value in registry is set to file:///[INSTALLDIR]vstoFileName.vsto|vstolocal

Ofc, I add .vsto file to application files, and after installation is appear in installation directory. 

Monday, March 10, 2014 7:51 AM
  • Typically the Program Files folder is a protected folder which requires administrative permissions for writing. That's why I'd suggest using the folder in a user profile (a subfolder of the AppData catalog) for per-user installations.
    Friday, March 14, 2014 8:05 PM
  • Typically the Program Files folder is a protected folder which requires administrative permissions for writing. That's why I'd suggest using the folder in a user profile (a subfolder of the AppData catalog) for per-user installations.

What should be placed instead of [INSTALLDIR] if I want it to be placed in the AppData\MyName?

Monday, June 15, 2015 3:48 PM