Need help im a begginer! RRS feed

• Question

• Hello every1..
    I need help with a lot of questions because im very confsed...
    Iv always wanted to start programing butnever did and now i have decided to start learning however im not sure where to begin! iv seen a bunch of youtube videos on visual basic i read about programing but still im lost! ...
    ok heres my dilema...

What is the difference betwen visual basic c++ and visual basic express? And why is there a visual basic c? isnt the c++ the same thing just advanced?

Where should i start learning? some say learn this than learn that ok as i know i should start learning c++ right? than they spook out some codes i never even seen in the tutorial!

Could some 1 direct me to step 1? 
    The REAL basic i need to know? Than what should i learn to be able to make an application?
    As more im interested in dragonfire SDK windows development for iphone tho im interested in building another application for pc..

I would be gratefull if some 1 can help me out with my noob questions so i can start ill try to keep all my question wile developing in this threed and ask all my question here!

Thank you!
    Sasha
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 5:54 PM

Answers

• VB Express is the free version of VB.  It has "lots" of functionality though.  It is the tool to use if you don't have a lot of cash and are interested in learning how to program.

There are other products in the Express line such as C# Express.  Like VB Express, it is designed to help someone get started programming in this case in C# rather than VB.

The Express product line is the entry into the Visual Studio family of products.  Other members of the family include the "Professional" and "Team" products.  These are pay to play offerings that extend the basic features of the Express products.

C# and VB are the flagship languages of the .Net framework.  The code you write with them is compiled to run against the .Net runtime.  This is similar to how Java is compiled to run against the Java runtime.  I consider C# and VB and Java to be very approachable.  They take some of the hardest elements of programming away.

C++ and C are slightly lower level languages that are compiled to run against the "native machine" rather than a "virtual machine" as is the case with Java or the .Net languages.  These lower level languages are harder to work with, and prone to many problems that are solved for you with the higher level offerings.  On the other hand, they are natively executed and can be less resource intensive and faster.

As a recommendation, If you are starting out yourself and are not taking a formal course that might dictate a language then I would recommend you start with C# or VB Express (java and eclipse if you are on linux).  I would nudge you towards C# though just because syntactically it is close to Java and C.

In the end though VB is a fine choice as well.  Once you understand the nuances of any language, your real investment will be time understanding the frameworks and tools you use to extend the core language.

Rather than asking all your questions in a single thread, you should ask questions one at a time.  That way when others are searching for answers it will be easier to find.

jon.stromer.galley
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 6:43 PM
  • IF you look at this page http://msdotnetsupport.blogspot.com/2008/06/what-is-price-of-visual-studio-2008-how.html you will see that the price for Visual Studio Standard Edition is $299 but that the upgrade price is $199 also notice that for upgrade elegibility it says

Upgrade Pricing Eligibility

To qualify for upgrade pricing, you must be a licensed user of one of the following products:

• An earlier version of Microsoft Visual Studio
    • Any other developer tool (including free developer tools, such as Visual Studio Express Editions or Eclipse)

Coding4fun Be a good forum member mark posts that contain the answers to your questions or those that are helpful
    Please format the code in your posts with the button . Makes it easier to read . Or use the Forum Code Formatter by JohnWein http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vbgeneral/thread/bf977a14-d9d4-4e84-9784-bf76b9e23261
    Friday, February 5, 2010 2:28 AM

All replies

• please, don't write a message the same way you write an sms on your cellular. Many of us haven't English language as mother language.
    and change, if you can, the object of the message: it is too generic and nobody else can be helped in the search of a solution for the same problem you have.
    please, mark this as answer if it is THE answer
    ----------------
    Diego Cattaruzza
    Microsoft MVP - Visual Basic: Development
    blog: http://community.visual-basic.it/Diego
    web site: http://www.visual-basic.it
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 6:03 PM
  • Best way is to take a beginners course in programming from a good college. That would help you build a good base on which you build upon by self learning.
    Ganesh Ranganathan
    [Please mark the post as answer if it answers your question]
    blog.ganeshzone.net
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 6:11 PM
  • one of the menus of this page is 'Learn'. click it! :o))
    please, mark this as answer if it is THE answer
    ----------------
    Diego Cattaruzza
    Microsoft MVP - Visual Basic: Development
    blog: http://community.visual-basic.it/Diego
    web site: http://www.visual-basic.it
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 6:17 PM
  • VB Express is the free version of VB.  It has "lots" of functionality though.  It is the tool to use if you don't have a lot of cash and are interested in learning how to program.

There are other products in the Express line such as C# Express.  Like VB Express, it is designed to help someone get started programming in this case in C# rather than VB.

The Express product line is the entry into the Visual Studio family of products.  Other members of the family include the "Professional" and "Team" products.  These are pay to play offerings that extend the basic features of the Express products.

C# and VB are the flagship languages of the .Net framework.  The code you write with them is compiled to run against the .Net runtime.  This is similar to how Java is compiled to run against the Java runtime.  I consider C# and VB and Java to be very approachable.  They take some of the hardest elements of programming away.

C++ and C are slightly lower level languages that are compiled to run against the "native machine" rather than a "virtual machine" as is the case with Java or the .Net languages.  These lower level languages are harder to work with, and prone to many problems that are solved for you with the higher level offerings.  On the other hand, they are natively executed and can be less resource intensive and faster.

As a recommendation, If you are starting out yourself and are not taking a formal course that might dictate a language then I would recommend you start with C# or VB Express (java and eclipse if you are on linux).  I would nudge you towards C# though just because syntactically it is close to Java and C.

In the end though VB is a fine choice as well.  Once you understand the nuances of any language, your real investment will be time understanding the frameworks and tools you use to extend the core language.

Rather than asking all your questions in a single thread, you should ask questions one at a time.  That way when others are searching for answers it will be easier to find.

jon.stromer.galley
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 6:43 PM
  • Sasha,

i am not familiar with "dragonfire SDK windows development for iphone" but i guess this would fall under the category of mobile applications.  i don't think the express editions currently have templates or support for mobile apps, not sure if 2010 express editions will or not.  your next option if 2010 will not might be to look at the full versions which are not free but, there are trial downloads that you can try to see if you want to consider buying a full version.

not sure what type of pc applications you want to make but the msdn how do i videos can help you get started.  i also have a database and general application tutorial on my website which will help you.  i also have quite a few sample projects and close to 1000 code samples.  one of the best resources is right here in the forum, start asking questions and you will get all the help you need.
    FREE
    DEVELOPER TOOLS     CODE     PROJECTS

DATABASE CODE GENERATOR
    DATABASE / GENERAL  APPLICATION TUTORIAL
    Upload Projects to share or get help on and post the generated links here in the forum
    www.srsoft.us
    Friday, February 5, 2010 12:20 AM
  • IF you look at this page http://msdotnetsupport.blogspot.com/2008/06/what-is-price-of-visual-studio-2008-how.html you will see that the price for Visual Studio Standard Edition is $299 but that the upgrade price is $199 also notice that for upgrade elegibility it says

Upgrade Pricing Eligibility

To qualify for upgrade pricing, you must be a licensed user of one of the following products:

• An earlier version of Microsoft Visual Studio
    • Any other developer tool (including free developer tools, such as Visual Studio Express Editions or Eclipse)

Coding4fun Be a good forum member mark posts that contain the answers to your questions or those that are helpful
    Please format the code in your posts with the button . Makes it easier to read . Or use the Forum Code Formatter by JohnWein http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vbgeneral/thread/bf977a14-d9d4-4e84-9784-bf76b9e23261
    Friday, February 5, 2010 2:28 AM