The following forum(s) are migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Azure App Service - Web Apps!

Ask new questions on Microsoft Q&A (Preview).
Interact with existing posts until December 13, 2019, after which content will be closed to all new and existing posts.

Learn More

none
s3 vs p2v2 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a web api set up that does some packing calculations. I'ts currently on s2 with auto scale out set up as it can be quite intensive at times so I'm thinking about scaling up to another level. The question is would s3  - 4 CPUs / 7GB be better or worse than P2v2 - 2 CPUs / 7GB?

Also if I scaled up to P2v2 could I then scale back down to s2?

Thanks!

Friday, December 1, 2017 12:26 PM

All replies

• Understand the difference between Standard and Premium v2 Service Plans:

Standard Service Plan:

The Standard service plan is designed for running production workloads. Pricing is based on the size and number of instances you run. Built-in network load balancing support automatically distributes traffic across instances. The Standard plan includes auto scale that can automatically adjust the number of virtual machine instances running to match your traffic needs

Premium v2 Service Plan:

Designed to provide enhanced performance and scalability for production apps, Premium v2 (preview) features Dv2-series VMs with faster processors, SSD storage, and double memory-to-core ratio compared to Standard. Premium v2 also supports higher scale via increased instance count while still providing all the advanced capabilities found in the Standard plan.

Note: If you Scale up from S2 to P2V2, you will get the following error message “Premium V2 is not supported for this scale unit. Please consider redeploying or cloning the App”, because “To scale-up a web app to Premium V2, you need to have a Web App in Azure App Service that runs in a pricing tier lower than PremiumV2”.

If you have Web App with P2V2 you can scale down to S2.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do click on "Mark as Answer" and “Vote as Helpful” on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Friday, December 1, 2017 3:29 PM
  • To scale-up a web app to Premium V2, you need to have a Web App in Azure App Service that runs in a pricing tier lower than PremiumV2

But isn't standard a lower price tier than premium v2?

Tuesday, December 5, 2017 9:14 AM
  • Lower price tier means within the Premium V2.

Example: If you want to scale-up to P2v2, you should have your web app in P1v2.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do click on "Mark as Answer" and “Vote as Helpful” on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Tuesday, December 5, 2017 1:17 PM
  • nonsense 
    Tuesday, May 22, 2018 7:36 AM
  • To scale-up a web app to PremiumV2, you need to have a Web App in Azure App Service that runs in a pricing tier lower than PremiumV2. If you want to use Premium V2 with your existing app running with App Service, you can choose to redeploy or clone your app to a new Premium V2 App Service Plan. 

Tuesday, June 12, 2018 6:37 AM
  • Thats all good information but....

Is an P1V2 quicker then what appears to be an equivalent S3 model?

Regards,

Graham

Friday, December 21, 2018 10:53 AM
  • Does this mean I can scale down from S2 to S1 and then "up" to P1v2 ?
    Friday, December 6, 2019 9:45 PM