none
Annoying Dynamic Font Color Change

Question

• In VS2015 in a C# project, when I add a class the using statements change color after the file is created and the code text is displayed.

The dynamic color changing is not specific to VC#, but VC++. Its as if (guessing) VS uses a database to get color values and the latency from querying SQL causes delay. A default color code is used to display text and then when the SQL query returns with the correct text color, the text changes to a different color.  

1) Why does this color change happen?  

2) How can I prevent the color change?

• Edited by Joel_Z Sunday, December 27, 2015 6:13 PM
    Sunday, December 27, 2015 6:12 PM

Answers

• yes, you did miss-understand. For C# projects, add a class by right clicking the project node in the solution explorer. 

Disabling IntelliSense turns off the automatic font coloring in C++ projects. That is a good enough work around for native development.

Tuesday, December 29, 2015 3:46 PM

All replies

• Hi Joel_Z,

>>when I add a class the using statements change color after the file is created and the code text is displayed.

Could you share me two screen shots about the results(changing color)?

For example, I just input "class" in a simple console app.

And then the color changed to the blue like the screen shot 2. 

Do you mean that it is the real question you really meet?

As far as I know, the default parameters and keywords of VS have his own color options/settings under TOOLS->Options->Environment->Fonts and Colors. For example, if I change the keyword's color, I will get the result like this screen shot.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, December 28, 2015 9:24 AM
  • Hi Joel_Z,

>>when I add a class the using statements change color after the file is created and the code text is displayed.

Could you share me two screen shots about the results(changing color)?

For example, I just input "class" in a simple console app.

And then the color changed to the blue like the screen shot 2. 

Do you mean that it is the real question you really meet?

As far as I know, the default parameters and keywords of VS have his own color options/settings under TOOLS->Options->Environment->Fonts and Colors. For example, if I change the keyword's color, I will get the result like this screen shot.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Have you witnessed font color changing during your usage of Visual Studio?
    Monday, December 28, 2015 4:11 PM
  • Hi Joel_Z,

>>Have you witnessed font color changing during your usage of Visual Studio?

Maybe you could share us the screen shots about the real steps about how you use your VS.

Like my previous reply, I found the color changing just when I input the code.

Like my previous reply, if you just input "clas", it is not the keyword of the VS, so it is black color, if the test changed to be "class", it is the default VS keyword, so it would use the default color under stings, so the color changed to be blue.

So the real issue is that whether my result is the same result as yours, or whether you get this issue using the same steps as mine. If so, please share me the real steps about how you use your VS, please also share us two simple screen shots, so I could repro it in my side.

But if it the same steps as mine, as far as I know, it is by design.

1) Why does this color change happen?  

The VS uses his own settings included the color settings for the specific parameters/keywords. If you input the whole parameters/keywords, it would really use the color settings under TOOLS->Options.

2) How can I prevent the color change?

As my understanding, if you really doesn't want to change this color, one idea is that like the latest screen shot in my previous reply, you could custom the color for keywords, for example, just use the same color black as the normal text or others.

If I misunderstood this issue, please feel free to let me know the real steps about how you use your VS, I will repro it as your detailed steps.

Sincerely,

Jack

Tuesday, December 29, 2015 8:05 AM
  • yes, you did miss-understand. For C# projects, add a class by right clicking the project node in the solution explorer. 

Disabling IntelliSense turns off the automatic font coloring in C++ projects. That is a good enough work around for native development.

Tuesday, December 29, 2015 3:46 PM
  • Hi Joel_Z,

Thanks for your friendly response.

>>Disabling IntelliSense turns off the automatic font coloring in C++ projects. That is a good enough work around for native development.

So you have resolved this issue using this workaround, am I right?

If so, would you please make your reply as the answer? So it would be helpful for other members who get the same issue to research and find the answer.

Of course, if you have other VS IDE usage issue, feel free to let us know:)

Sincerely,

Jack

Wednesday, December 30, 2015 2:45 AM