none
add on is not working in Visio 2003, its working in Visio 2007 and Visio 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I created a setup and installed on windows XP with Visio 2007. It's working as expected.

If I install the same setup on Windows Xp with Visio 2003. It's not working. I'm able to see the menu which I added. It's not invoking my custom .net code

Any idea/help would be appreciated.

• Moved by Cindy Meister MVPModerator Thursday, September 22, 2011 10:35 PM not using VSTO technology (From:Visual Studio Tools for Office)
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 1:10 PM

Answers

• Hi Arun

Typically, if you create an Add-in you set a reference to the type libraries (PIAs) of the Office application (Visio, for example). did you do that?

In that case, you can't go "backwards" with the software, only "forwards". So if you install Visio 2007 on your system the add-in can (probably) work with Visio 2010 as well as with 2007, but not with Visio 2003.

You'd need to install Visio 2003 on your development machine in order to create an add-in that can work with Visio 2007 and Visio 2010 (assuming none of the functionality has changed).

OR you'd have to remove the references to the type libraries and write all the code to use late binding.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    • Marked as answer by Bruce Song Thursday, October 6, 2011 8:40 AM
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 1:25 PM

All replies

• Is this an Add-in developed using VSTO? Or did you use the Shared Add-in template in Visual Studio?

If you used VSTO, then an Add-in developed for Office 2007 will not run with an earlier version of Office, only with a later one.

Thursday, September 22, 2011 1:40 PM
  • Thanks Cindy.

This is the Shared Add-in.

Thursday, September 22, 2011 3:32 PM
  • Cindy Any update on this?

I would want to know about, How would I build setups for Visio 2003, Visio 2007 and 2010 without installing all three versions.

I mean, would be able to install only one version of office in my local system. In this case, How would I make setup for another 2 versions of visio.

Thanks,

Arun

Monday, September 26, 2011 5:38 PM
  • Hi Arun

Typically, if you create an Add-in you set a reference to the type libraries (PIAs) of the Office application (Visio, for example). did you do that?

In that case, you can't go "backwards" with the software, only "forwards". So if you install Visio 2007 on your system the add-in can (probably) work with Visio 2010 as well as with 2007, but not with Visio 2003.

You'd need to install Visio 2003 on your development machine in order to create an add-in that can work with Visio 2007 and Visio 2010 (assuming none of the functionality has changed).

OR you'd have to remove the references to the type libraries and write all the code to use late binding.

• Marked as answer by Bruce Song Thursday, October 6, 2011 8:40 AM
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 1:25 PM