none
How do I open .exe programs on mac? RRS feed

• Question

• I am taking an online programming class and am having trouble opening a .exe program that I created by following instructions. The program when run in Visual Studio opens the terminal and the text HelloWorld is displayed. I was reading further in my book and it said that I can run the program by finding it in the bin folder, then in the debug folder, and then double clicking on it the .exe program I created. When I open it Xamarin Profiler opens up instead of running the program. I tried using the Wine app but it couldn't find the program. How am I able to run the program I created on mac when I am using VS for mac? Am I never able to run programs outside of VS because they create a .exe program even when I am using the mac version of VS? I am so confused and frustrated!
    Tuesday, September 3, 2019 2:30 PM

All replies

• .NET programs are not fully compiled, so they can't be run on their own.  The .NET runtime has to start first, and it will then finish compiling and running your program.  For now, you should type

dotnet xxx.exe

to run the app.  There is a way to combine those together into a self-contained deployment, but for your use, running the "dotnet" command is easiest.

Tim Roberts | Driver MVP Emeritus | Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Tuesday, September 3, 2019 5:21 PM