Help finding features/Feature Request RRS feed

• Question

• I recently have changed jobs and have come from an Oracle environment using PL/SQL Developer to a SQL Server 2010 Environment. I have loved using SSDT as I am in VS almost all day anyway.  There are a few features I used in PL/SQL Developer that either I can't find or would like to see added to a future edition.

Here's my list:

- Format Document/Selection - I use the Ctrl+K, Ctrl+D command all the time in my projects to make them look 'pretty' but that functionality does not seem to work in a query window.

- Parenthesis matching - It would be nice to be able to see where a match to a parenthesis is when doing large complex queries. 

- Highlight and query - Basically Highlight a table name within a query and be able to right click and be able to have the same options you do in the SQL Server Object Explorer (View Data, View Permissions,  etc.). Also it would be nice to have the results displayed in the result window as opposed to in a new tab. 

If any of these features are available it would be nice to know where they are or how to use them.  

Thanks,

Chris 

Thursday, April 5, 2012 6:33 PM

Answers

• Hi Chris,

Great suggestions, we agree these are very useful features, and no, you aren't just missing where to find them. We have forms of these on our feature to-do list, although I don't have a roadmap as to when each may be enabled. For example, T-SQL formatting is on the table and we have heard a lot about different forms of this that people want. Interesting suggestion on highlight in query -- at the least, online language services is something we have on our list (Go To Definition for example), but this is a great additional piece.

Thanks for this feedback - these are helpful points.

Sarah

Sarah McDevitt Program Manager SQL Server Data Tools

• Proposed as answer by sarahmcd Thursday, April 12, 2012 6:21 PM
    • Marked as answer by Janet Yeilding Monday, April 16, 2012 7:08 PM
    Thursday, April 12, 2012 6:21 PM