Silverlight - What can be done? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I'm new to Silverlight, although I've been programming .Net languages (mostly VB) for the past few years.

I have a few questions on the capabilites of Silverlight in a certain application I need it for.  The situation is as follows:

(1) A server computer has an ad-hoc WiFi network.  Wireless enabled computers can connect and access a local (server) web page.  This web page has an embedded Silverlight app.

(2) On the client-side computers, which connect to the server, they can view a webcam (which is connected to the server), and also instruct the server to record (video is stored on server).

Is this possible with Silverlight?  Essentially, I need to be able to have Silverlight on a client computer connect to an application running on my server computer.

Thanks everyone for any suggestions and I hope I was clear.

Cheers!

Friday, October 23, 2009 12:24 AM

Answers

• Hi Nucleon,

(1) A server computer has an ad-hoc WiFi network.  Wireless enabled computers can connect and access a local (server) web page.  This web page has an embedded Silverlight app.

Yes.  We can embed Silverlight into asp.net pages.

(2) On the client-side computers, which connect to the server, they can view a webcam (which is connected to the server), and also instruct the server to record (video is stored on server).

Webcam is not supported in Silverlight 3.  You'd better wait for the future release.

Is this possible with Silverlight?  Essentially, I need to be able to have Silverlight on a client computer connect to an application running on my server computer.

Xap file should run depends on Silverlight plugin.

Best regards,

Jonathan

Thursday, October 29, 2009 8:31 AM

All replies

• As far as I know, until this Silverlight 3 that scenario is not possible to be done by Silverlight.

I suggest you to use WPF instead.

Friday, October 23, 2009 1:18 AM
  • Can you be a little bit more precise, what features do you want to be used at the Silverlight level?
    Friday, October 23, 2009 1:51 AM
  •  Hi,

Thanks for the quick replies.

I basically need to be able to connect to a .Net server application on my server computer, from a Silverlight web app from a client computer.  Then, I need to be able send commands back and forth.  For example, in VB6, I used the Winsock control to achieve this.  Is it possible to do anything like this in Silverlight?

The main reason is I want zero-install ability.

Thanks!

Friday, October 23, 2009 10:55 AM
  • Hi Nucleon,

Yes.  We can embed Silverlight into asp.net pages.

Webcam is not supported in Silverlight 3.  You'd better wait for the future release.

Xap file should run depends on Silverlight plugin.

Best regards,

Jonathan

Thursday, October 29, 2009 8:31 AM
  • Thank you!
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 6:30 PM