none
Windows CE "ok" button crashing issues RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone:

I'm working on an application which uses the Windows CE (5.2.20961; Mobile 6.1 Classic for the Pocket PC).

This application uses several windows which include the "ok" button (top right corner) to tap after the user has completed viewing, or entering data.

Within the application, the processing behind the "ok" button of one particular window takes 2-3 seconds to complete.

I have found that in this situation, tapping the "ok" button as often as possible (before the processing has completed) sometimes leads to Windows crashing with an error report, and a request that it be sent to Microsoft.

This situation appears related to a field issue where CE is either hanging or crashing (i.e.: it's not just some weird developer test).

I've tried BeginModalState/EndModalState, hiding the "ok" button after the "ok" method is initially activated, and updating the "ok" handling code to ignore subsquent requests until the processing has completed, but I'm still unable to resolve this problem (it could be message queuing related).

Putting the processing in a separate task, so that the "ok" processing code finishes quickly might be one option, but this would add complexity. Having an ("ok" processing) in-line solution would be preferable.

If anyone knows how to correct this, or has any suggestions on what else I might try, please let me know.

Thanks, & Regards,

Dennis

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 2:27 PM

All replies

• The first thing that I would do is simplify your test and rule out your application completely.    If you are correct and this is a systemic problem, then you should easily be able to reproduce it with a Hello World app that calls Sleep(5000) when the OK button is pressed.
    Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
    Senior Engineer
    Bruce.Eitman AT Eurotech DOT com
    My BLOG http://geekswithblogs.net/bruceeitman

Eurotech Inc.
    www.Eurotech.com
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 2:35 PM
  • Services OS?
    Tuesday, April 9, 2013 3:40 AM
  • Power_Zhang,

can you please elaborate?

- Chandra